Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #9, 2020, pp. 51-53
Welding of polymer films by low power lasers
M.G. Korab, M.V. Iurzhenko, A.V. Vashchuk, M.G. Menzheres
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
The technology of laser welding by a transmission method allows welding overlapping polymeric films and sheets of various
thickness. Welding of polyvinyl chloride films using a diode-pumped solid-state laser (DPSS) of 10 W power, which generates
green radiation with wavelength of 532 nm, was performed in the developed experimental equipment. Application of this method
made it possible to weld transparent multilayer medical films Wipak. Experiments have shown that with the help of such a laser
it is possible to form a high-quality joint of Wipak medical film with paper. 9 Ref, 5 Fig.
welded joints, polymer films, transmission laser welding, diode lasers
1. Korab, G.N., Shestopal, A.N., Komarov, G.V. et al. (1988)
Dictionary and reference book on welding and gluing of plastics.
Ed. by B.E. Paton. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
2. Moskvitin, G.V., Polyakov, A.N., Birger, E.M. (2012) Laser welding of plastics (Review). Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 9, 21-33 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1080/09507116.2012.753282
3. Klein, R. (2011) Laser welding of plastics. Wiley-VCH, Verlag GmbH & Co. https://doi.org/10.1002/9783527636969
4. Briger, E.M., Moskvitin, G.V., Polyakov, A.N. (2012) Application
of laser welding methods in modern industrial production.
Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 6, 36–47 [in Russian].
5. Zvelto, O. (1990) Principles of lasers. Moscow, Mir [in Russian].
6. Greff, G. Laser welding of plastics. New chemical technologies.
7. Kondilenko, I.I., Korotkov, P.A., Khizhnyak, A.I. (1984)
Physics of lasers. Kiev, Vyshcha Shkola [in Russian].
8. Plastics joining with high-power diode lasers. http:www.
9. Laser transmission (penetration) welding of thermoplastics.
BASF Aktiengesellschaft Company. Maintenance of thermoplastics.