Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #5, 2021, pp. 34-39
Argon-arc welding of high-strength sparsely-doped pseudo-β-Titanium Alloy Ti–2.8Al–5.1Mo–4.9Fe
S.V. Akhonin, V.Yu. Bilous, R.V. Selin, I.K. Petrichenko, L.M. Radchenko
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Structural sparsely-doped titanium alloys are developed with the purpose of lowering the finished product cost. Possibility of
application of tungsten electrode argon-arc welding (AAW) for sparsely-doped pseudo-β-titanium alloy Ti–2.8Al–5.1Mo–4.9Fe was
evaluated. Influence of different kinds of argon-arc welding on weld formation and mechanical properties of Ti–2,8Al–5,1Mo–4,9Fe
alloy joints were assessed. The effect of complete penetration AAW, semi-submerged AAW AAW with feeding unalloyed titanium
welding filler wire VT1-00sv was studied. It was found that the structure of metal of the weld and HAZ in welded joints of sparselydoped
titanium alloy Ti–2.8Al–5.1Mo–4.9Fe made by AAW consists mainly of β-phase with precipitates of metastable α-phase.
Lowering of AAW heat input for Ti–2.8Al–5.1Mo–4.9Fe alloy has a positive impact on the joint strength. So, among the welded
joints made without changing the weld metal composition, the joints made by semi-submerged arc welding have the highest strength
of 972 MPa and the highest impact toughness on the level of 5.7 J/cm2. 15 Ref., 3 Tabl., 3 Fig.
titanium, titanium alloys, argon-arc welding, heat input, flux, wire, mechanical properties
1. Dhinakaran, V., Shriragav, S.V., Fahmidha, A.F.Y., Ravichandran, M. (2020). A review on the categorization of the welding process of pure titanium and its characterization. Materials Today, Proceedings, 27, 742-747. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2019.12.034
2. Pasang, T., Tao, Y., Azizi, M. et al. (2017). Welding of titanium alloys. MATEC Web of Conferences, 123, p. 00001. EDP Sciences. https://doi.org/10.1051/matecconf/201712300001
3. Ströber, K., Abele, C. (2018). Titanium Welding Technology for Series Production. Lightweight Design worldwide, 11(4), 12-15. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41777-018-0025-9
4. Reddy, M.K.P., Naik, R.P., Samatham, M., Kumar, C.H. (2020). Review on different welding techniques of Titanium and its alloys. International Journal of Scientific Research in Science. Engineering and Technology (www.ijsrset.com)© 2020IJSRSET | Volume 7| Issue 1| Print ISSN: 2395-1990 | Online ISSN: 2394-4099.
5. Nochovnaya, N.A., Antashev, V.G. (2007) Titanium alloys of «LOW-COST»series and possibilities of their application. In: Proc. of Int. Conf. on Ti-2007 in CIS (Kiev, IMF), 191-192.
6. Dobrescu, M., Dimitriu, S., Vasilescu, M. (2011) Studieson Ti-Al-Fe low-cost titanium alloys manufacturing, processing and applications. Metalurgia International, 16(4), 73.
7. Lin D.J., Ju C.P., Lin J.H.C. (1999) Structure and Properties of Cast Ti-Fe Alloys. Transactions of the American Foundry men`s Society, 107, 859-864.
8. Holden, F.C., Ogden, H.R., Jaffee, R.I. (1956) Heat Treatment and Mechanical Properties of Ti-Fe Alloys. Transactions of the American Institute of Mining and Metallurgical Engineers, 206(5), 521-528.
9. Lee, D.B., Park, K.B., Jeong, H.W., Kim, S.E. (2002) Mechanical and Oxidation Properties of Ti-x Fe-y Si Alloys. Materials Science and Engineering A, 328(1-2), 161-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-5093(01)01670-7
10. ̈tjering, G.Lu, Williams, J.C. (2003) Titanium (engineering materials and processes). Berlin, Springer-Verlag.3. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-71398-2
11. Gurevich, S.M., Blashchuk, V.E. (1968) Consumable electrode shielded-gas welding. Avtomatich. Svarka, 11, 87-89 [in Russian].
12. Hong, S.H., Hwang, Y.J., Park, S.W. et al. (2019). Lowcost beta titanium cast alloys with good tensile properties developed with addition of commercial material. J. of Alloys and Compounds, 793, 271-276. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2019.04.200
13. Zheng, B., Dong, F., Zhang, Y. et al. (2018). Microstructure, mechanical properties and deformation behavior of new V-free low-cost Ti-6Al-xFe-yCr alloys. Materials Research Express, 6(2), 026551. https://doi.org/10.1088/2053-1591/aaef43
14. Akhonin, S.V., Belous, V.Y., Selin, R.V., Kostin, V.A. (2021). Influence of TIG Welding Thermal Cycle on Temperature Distribution and Phase Transformation in Low-cost Titanium Alloy. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 688, № 1, p. 012012. IOP Publishing https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/688/1/012012
15. Akhonin, S.V., Bilous, V.Yu., Selin, R.V., Petrychenko I.K. (2020) Impact of TIG welding on the structure and mechanical properties of joints of pseudo-β-titanium alloy. TPWJ, 2, 9-15. https://doi.org/10.37434/tpwj2020.02.02
Advertising in this issue: