Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #8, 2021, pp. 18-23
Development of technology of manufacture of drill bits with protective coating of working bodies
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute. 11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150 Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The peculiarities of manufacturing drill bits and cutters are considered and studied. The carried out analysis of operation of
working bodies of drill bit frames showed that during drilling most often a wear of cutters, a protective coating of sitters and
a calibrating surface of frames of drilling bits occur. It was investigated that in arc surfacing using TIG method, low rates of
heating and cooling of metal during preheating of working bodies of a bit allow reducing residual stresses and avoiding the
formation of cracks in coatings and base material. It was established that the optimal thickness of surfacing the protective coating
should be within 2.0…3.0 mm, where a uniform distribution of tungsten carbides throughout the volume of the deposited layer
is observed, which effectively resists wear of the working bodies of blades and frames of bits in the conditions of alternating and
shock loads, hydroabrasive wear, corrosion, erosion, etc. It was established that bits with a protective coating, having a high wear
and corrosion resistance, increase the mechanical speed of drilling and solve the most important task of reducing the number of
lowering and lifting operations when drilling gas and oil wells. As a result of carried out production tests of manufactured drill
bits, it was found that protective coating of working bodies allows extending the service life. 18 Ref., 1 Tabl., 8 Fig.
bits, cutters, drilling, wear, working body, polycrystalline diamond cutter (PDC), hard-alloy coating, surfacing,
tungsten carbides, microstructure, wear resistance, tests
1. Draganchuk, O.T., Prygorovska, T.O. (2008) Analysis of drilling bit wear of PDC type in deposits of Ukraine and world. Naftogazova Energetyka, 4(9), 33-39 [in Ukrainian].
2. Bondarenko, N.A. (2018) High-efficient diamond tool ISM for drilling of oil and gas wells: Review. Sverkhtvyordye Materialy, 5, 79-92 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.3103/S1063457618050076
3. Yakym, R.S. (2014) Evaluation of reliability and criteria of quality improvement of tricone drill bits for drilling of extra hard rocks. Rozvidka ta Rozrobka Naftovykh i Gazovykh Rodovyshch, 4(53), 43-51 [in Ukrainian].
4. Wear-resistant materials. Rods for gas and TIG welding. https://docplayer.ru/32381351-Iznosostoykie-materialy- i-tvyordye-splavy-na-osnove-kobalta.html.
5. Materials for brazing and surfacing. TeroCote. http://www. castolin.com.ua.
6. Samsonov, G.V., Vitryanyuk, V.N., Chaplygin, F.I. (1974) Tungsten carbides. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
7. Pierson, H.O. (1996) Handbook of Refractory Carbides and Nitrides. New Jersey, Noyes Publications. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-081551392-6.50001-5
8. Stefaniv, B.V. (2016) Investigation of wear resistance of protective coatings under conditions of hydroabrasive wear. The Paton Welding J., 9, 26-29. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2016.09.05
9. Stefaniv, B.V., Nyrkova, L.I., Larionov, A.V., Osadchuk, S.O. (2020) Corrosion resistance of composite material deposited by TIG method using flexible cord TeroCote 7888T. Ibid., 2, 29-32. https://doi.org/10.37434/as2020.02.05
10. Sajfutdinov, A.B., Sharnin, M.Yu. (1998) Efficiency of drill bits PDC. Neftyanoe Khozyajstvo, 9 [in Russian].
11. Khorunov, V.F., Maksymova, S.V., Stefaniv, B.V. (2010) Manufacture of drill bits for production of dispersed methane in mine working. The Paton Welding J., 6, 48-51.
12. Paton, B.E., Stefaniv, B.V., Khorunov, V.F. et al. (2009) Diamond drill bit. Ukraine Pat. 92268, (51), Int. Cl. Е21В 10/46 Е21В 10/5; fill. 05.05.2009; publish. 11.10.2010
13. Paton, B.E., Stefaniv, B.V., Khorunov, V.F. et al. (2009) Calibrator. Pat. Ukraine 92820, (51), Int. Cl. Е21В 10/26 Е21В 7/28; fill.10.03.2009; publish. 10.12.2010 [in Ukraine].
14. Stefaniv, B.V., Khorunov, V.F., Sabadash, O.M. et al. (2014) Features of reconditioning steel drill bit watercourse. The Paton Welding J., 11, 50-54. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2014.11.10
15. Stefaniv, B.V., Khorunov, V.F., Sabadash, O.M. et al. (2015) Peculiarities of restoration of working parts of drilling bit matrix bodies. Ibid., 8, 47-50. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2015.08.10
16. Stefaniv, B.V. (2013) Development of the technology of brazing diamond-hard alloy cutters. Ibid., 2, 37-41.
17. Stefaniv, B.V. (2013) Peculiarities of induction brazing of diamond- hard alloy cutters to blade of body of complex drill bit. Ibid., 8, 49-53.
18. Wear-resistant materials. http://www.svarka52.ru/upload/osnovnoi_ katalog_po_paike_i_Terocote_BRAZING_1.pdf.
Advertising in this issue: