Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #10, 2021, pp. 35-39
Electroslag technologies for repair of through-thickness cracks
in thick parts
S.M. Kozulin1, I.I. Lychko1, H.S. Podyma2
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
NTUU «Igor Sikorskiy Kyiv Polytechnic Institute». 6/2 Dashavska Str., 03056, Kyiv, E-mail: email@example.com
Results of investigations are presented, which were performed in order to develop a highly-productive technology for repair
of through-thickness cracks in thick parts in their operation site. The objective of the work is to study and establish the main
principles of a high-efficient technology of repairing defects of the type of through-thickness cracks in thick parts in their
operation site by the method of consumable nozzle multipass electroslag welding. The main tasks of the study were selection
of principal diagram of electroslag welding, development of a procedure for calculation of geometrical parameters of edge
preparation, that the most fully meet the conditions for formation of sound metal of the welded joint in a wide gap, development
of basic principles of the technique of making the welds, and creation of routing technology of repair. Performed studies were
the base for development of decision taking algorithms and general principles of the technology for repair of large-sized parts
of unique equipment in its operation site, using the proposed method. Technological recommendations for repair of throughthickness
cracks in such parts are based on the following postulates, formulated proceeding from the features of the proposed
method: domain of rational values of welding specific energy, ensuring sound weld formation, techniques allowing hot crack
prevention in the weld central parts, conditions of minimizing the welding stresses when welding rigid joints, conditions of
controlling the weld chemical composition that provide reduction of the fraction of base metal participation in weld formation,
and lowering of harmful impurity level in it, and recommendations on selection of electrode and accessory materials, etc.
Technological recommendations were successfully tried out in six cement works at repair of though-thickness cracks in the
rotary kiln bands. 15 Ref., 5 Fig.
multipass electroslag welding, consumable nozzle, through-thickness cracks, repair, specific heat input, hot cracks,
welding voltages, decision taking algorithm, technology recommendations
1. Panteleenko, F.I., Lylyakin, V.P., Ivanov, V.P., Konstantinov, V.M. (2003) Restoration of machine parts: Refer. book. Ed. by V.P. Ivanov. Moscow, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
2. Shcherbakov, Yu.V., Kashfullin, A.M. (2018) Current methods of restoration and strengthening of parts: Tutorial. Perm, Prokrost [in Russian].
3. Eltsov, V.V. (2012) Repair welding and surfacing of machine parts and mechanisms: Tutorial. Tolyatti, Izd-vo TGU [in Russian].
4. Garf, M.G. (1979) Taking decisions at multiple criteria. Moscow, Znanie [in Russian].
5. Dennis, D., Harwig, P., Fallara, V. et al. (1999) A Narrowgroove process proves robust in a massive repair. The narrow - groove submerged arc welding process is used to repair a kiln tire. Welding J., 1, 45-48.
6. Kozulin, S.M., Lychko, I.I., Kozulin, M.G. (2007) Methods of reconditioning rotary kilns (Review) The Paton Welding J., 10, 33-39.
7. Sushchuk-Slyusarenko, I.I., Lychko, I.I., Kozulin, M.G., Semenov, V.M. (1989) Electroslag welding and surfacing in repair works. Kiev: Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
8. Yushchenko, K.A., Kozulin, S.M., Lychko, I.I., Kozulin, M.G. (2014) Joining of thick metal by multipass electroslag welding. The Paton Welding J., 9, 30-33. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2014.09.04
9. Kozulin, S.M. (2011) Selection of the groove shape for repair of through cracks by multilayer electroslag welding. Ibid, 3, 32-35.
10. Kozulin, S.M. (2011) Multipass electroslag welding with consumable nozzle at repair of unique equipment. In: Syn. of Thesis for Cand. of Tech. Sci. Degree. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
11. Kozulin, S.M., Lychko, I.I., Kozulin, M.G. (2010) Increase of resistance of welds to formation of crystalline cracks in repair of bands of kiln furnaces using electroslag welding. The Paton Welding J., 1, 32-34.
12. Kozulin, S.M., Lychko, I.I. (2011) Deformations of welded joints in multilayer electroslag welding. Ibid, 1, 22-27.
13. Paton, B.E., Yushchenko, K.A., Kozulin, S.M., Lychko, I.I. (2019) Electroslag welding process. Analysis of the state and tendencies of development (Review). Ibid, 10, 33-40. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2019.10.05
14. (2006) Welding technology of repair of large-sized thickwall structures. In: Proc. of Sci.-Tech. Int. Conf. on Modern Problems of Improvement of Welding Production Effectiveness (15-17 November 2006, Tolyatti). TGU, Vol. 1, 119-124.
15. (2012) Peculiarities of repair technology of large part defects of mechanical engineering units in their operation site by electroslag welding. In: Proc. of 3rd Sci.-Tech. Conf. on Welding Production in Mechanical Engineering: Prospects of Development (DGMA, 2-5 October 2012). Ed. by N.A. Makarenko. Kramatorsk, DGMA, 25-26 [in Russian].
Advertising in this issue: