Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #11, 2021, pp. 8-14
Modelling of thermal processes in laser welding of polymers
M.G. Korab1, M.V. Iurzhenko1, A.V. Vashchuk1, I.K. Senchenkov2
.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
S.P. Timoshenko Institute of Mechanics of NAS of Ukraine, Nesterov Str. 3, Kyiv, 02000, Ukraine
In the work, a mathematical description of thermal processes in laser welding with the use of the classical theory of thermal
conductivity was performed. The thermal cycle under the action of radiation on the surface was analyzed using the models of
overall heat balance, distributed surface, point, circular and linear heat sources. The modeling of welding process consisted
in solving the problem of forming thermal fields in viscoelastic polymeric materials at a moving inner heat source. It was
assumed that the upper part is transparent to laser radiation and the lower one has a set coefficient of light beam absorption,
and their thermophysical characteristics depend on temperature. The equations of thermal conductivity and defining equations
were formulated, supplemented by the boundary conditions of convective heat transfer and the initial temperature distribution.
For the numerical implementation of certain equations the finite element method was used, which is based on an alternative
formulation of the problem. The results of mathematical modeling showed the peculiarities of the formation of thermal fields in
the transmission laser welding of polymer films at different parameters of welding mode. 10 Ref., 6 Fig.
laser welding, polymer films, mathematical modeling, thermal processes, temperature fields, isotherms
1. Klein, R. (2011) Laser welding of plastics. Wiley-VCH, Verlag GmbH & Co. https://doi.org/10.1002/9783527636969
2. Buketov, A., Brailo, M., Yakushchenko, S., Sapronova, A. (2018) Development of epoxy-polyester composite with improved thermophysical properties for restoration of details of sea and river transport. Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, 6378782. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/6378782
3. Acherjee, B., Kuar, A.S., Misra, D., Mitra, S. (2011) Laser transmission welding of thermoplastics: An overview of experimental findings - process, development and applications. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Research., 3, 211-236.
4. Kneip, J.C., Martin, B., Loredo, A. et al. (2004) Heat transfer in semitransparment materials during laser interaction. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 155-156, 1805-1809. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2004.04.380
5. Ruotsalainen, S., Laakso, P., Kujanpa, V. (2015) Laser welding of transparent polymers by using quasi-simultaneous beam off-setting scanning technique. Physics Procedia, 78, 272-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phpro.2015.11.038
6. Majumdar, A., D`Alvise, L. (2016) Simulation of the laser transmission welding of thermoplastics - оSensitivity to process parameters. Proceedings of the NAFEMS Nordic Conference available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/304308496
7. Delone N.B. (1989) Interaction of laser radiation with substance. Moscow, Nauka [in Russian].
8. Vedenov, A.A., Gladush, G.G. (1985) Physical processes in laser treatment of materials. Moscow, Energoatomizdat [in Russian].
9. Kutateladze, S.S. (1979) Fundamentals of the theory of heat exchange. Moscow, Atomizdat [in Russian].
10. Lykov, A.V. (1967) Theory of heat conductivity. Moscow, Vysshaya Shkola [in Russian].
Advertising in this issue: