Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #11, 2021, pp. 3-7
Characteristics of arc column during TIG welding with the effect of longitudinal magnetic field
О.D. Razmyshlyaev1, M.V. Ahieieva2
SHEI «Priazov State Technical University», 7 Universitetskaya Str., 87500, Mariupol, E-mail: email@example.com
Donbass State Mechanical Academy, 72 Akademicheskaya Str., 84413, Kramatorsk. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
A device was designed that allows inserting a tungsten dart probe into the plasma of arc column during TIG welding. The
operation of the device envisaged that a metal string with a diameter in the range of (0.25…0.4) · 10–3 m was elastically
deformed (twisted) under the action of torque. During the movement of the arc column plasma, the probe was subjected to a
pressure force, the string was elastically deformed and this allowed establishing the velocity of the arc column plasma rotating
around its axis during TIG welding under a constant longitudinal magnetic field. The arc burned between the tungsten electrode
and a copper plate with a thickness of 6,0 · 10–3 m on the direct polarity without mixing the electrode (vw = 0). The length of the
arc was 4.0 · 10–3 m. It was found that at a welding current of 200 A, an increase in the induction of the magnetic field from 18
to 45 mT leads to an increase in the azimuthal velocity of the arc column plasma at a distance within (3…4) · 10 -3m from its
axis in the range from 17 to 20 m/h, and the angular speed of rotation is in the range from 750 to 940 rps. The plasma probings
of the arc column were performed with a double probe during TIG welding with the effect of a constant longitudinal magnetic
field. In capacity of probes, tungsten darts with a diameter of 0.3 ∙ 10–3 m served. According to the results of measuring voltage
drop, between the probes the values of longitudinal and azimuthal current densities at a set point during TIG welding were
established. It was found that at the level of magnetic field induction within 18…45 mT and arc current of 200 A, the values
of the azimuthal component of current density in the arc column are approximately the same as the values of the longitudinal
component of current density in the arc column. 14 Ref., 6 Fig.
TIG welding, longitudinal magnetic field, induction, current density
1. Chernysh, V.P., Kuznetsov, V.D., Briskman, A.N., Shelenkov, G.M. (1983) Electromagnetic stirring. Kiev, Tekhnika [in Russian].
2. Razmyshlyaev, A.D., Vydmysh, P.A., Ageeva, M.V. (2017) Automatic submerged-arc welding under impact of magnetic field. Mariupol, PGTU [in Russian].
3. Razmyshlyaev, A.D., Mironova, M.V., Deli, A.A. (2009) Peculiarities of metal penetration at tungsten electrode argon arc welding in longitudinal magnetic field. Visnyk Pryazov. DTU, 19, 185-187 [in Russian].
4. Hua, A., Yin, S., Chen, S. et al. (2010) Behavior of arc and drop transfer of MAG welding controlled by longitudinal magnetic field. Journal of Mechanical Engineering. 46, 14, 95-100. https://doi.org/10.3901/JME.2010.14.095
5. Yin, X., Gou, J., Ma, N. (2011) Numerical simulation of arc and weld pool for GTAW in external axial magnetic fields. Transact. of JWRI, Special Issue on WSE 2011, 17-27.
6. Kuznetsov, V.D., Malinkin, I.V., Syrovatka, V.V. (1972) Behavior of arc electrode metal transfer in welding by longitudinal magnetic field. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 4, 3-4 [in Russian].
7. Razmyshlyaev, A.D., Mironova, M.V., Deli, A.A. (2008) Effect of longitudinal magnetic field on characteristics of the arc in TIG welding in argon atmosphere. The Paton Welding J., 3, 13-17.
8. Selyanenkov, V.N., Blinkov, V.A., Kazakov, Yu.V. (1975) On weld formation in longitudinal magnetic field at argon arc welding. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 11, 5-7 [in Russian].
9. Gvozdetsky, V.S., Mechev, V.S. (1963) Investigation of magnetically- impelled dc welding arc (flat and conical). Avtomatich Svarka, 12, 1-6 [in Russian].
10. Urusov, R.M. (2003) Calculation of electric arc in longitudinal magnetic field. Teplofizika Vysokikh Temperatur, 41(2), 181-188 [in Russian].
11. Urusov, R.M., Urusova, I.R. (2019) On mechanism of formation of helical shape electric arc in external axial magnetic field. Ibid., 57(3), 328-337 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0018151X19020226
12. Birzhev, V.A., Boldyrev, A.M. (1982) About effect of longitudinal magnetic field on welding arc of straight polarity. Avtomatich. Svarka, 1, 15-19 [in Russian].
13. Lenivkin, V.A., Petrov, P.I., Dyurgerov, N.G. (1984) Determination of velocity head of welding arc. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 7, 3-4 [in Russian].
14. Lenivkin, V.A., Dyurgerov, N.G., Sagirov, Kh.N. (1989) Technological properties of shielded-gas welding arc. Moscow, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
Advertising in this issue: