Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #6, 2022, pp. 17-22
Formation of composite coatings by the method of ultrasonic plasma spraying of powders based on the intermetallic TiAl with non-metallic refrectory compounds SiC And Si3N4
Yu.S. Borisov, N.V. Vigilianska, M.V. Kolomytsev, K.V. Iantsevitch, O.M. Burlachenko, T.V. Tsymbalistaya
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
Studies of the structural-phase state, erosion and corrosion resistance of coatings of the systems TiAl–SiC and TiAl–Si3N4,
produced by the method of supersonic air-gas plasma spraying, are presented. As materials for spraying, composite powders,
produced by the method of mechanic and chemical synthesis based on intermetallic TiAl with the addition of non-metallic
refractory compounds SiC and Si3N4 were used. Comparison of the phase composition of the produced coatings of the systems
TiAl–SiC and TiAl–Si3N4 with the phase composition of the composite powder after mechanic and chemical synthesis indicates
the course of processes of interaction of TiAl with non-metallic refractory compounds, as a result of which the phases of SiC and
Si3N4 are not observed in the coating. Due to the presence of strengthening phases in the coatings, the erosion resistance of the
composite coatings increases by 1.3...1.5 times as compared to the TiAl intermetallic coating. Electrochemical tests established
that the coatings of the systems TiAl–SiC and TiAl–Si3N4 are capable to provide protection of steel, aluminium and titanium base
in an environment containing sodium chloride with a 5...155 times increase in resistance. On the basis of the conducted studies
of functional properties of the developed composite coatings, the possibility of their use for the protection of parts subjected to
erosive wear and corrosion is shown. 15 Ref., 3 Tabl., 4 Fig.
intermetallic, non-metallic refractory compound, supersonic air-gas plasma spraying, structure, phase composition,
erosive wear, corrosion resistance
1. Noda, T. (1998) Application of cast gamma TiAl for automobiles. Intermetallics, 6 (7-8), 709-713. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-9795(98)00060-0
2. ЛLobanov, L.M., Asnis, Yu.A., Piskun, N.V., Statkevych, I.I. (2020) Improvement of mechanical properties of β-stable intermetallics of TiAl system by floating-zone refining. Dopov. NANU, 8, 51-56. https://doi.org/10.15407/dopovidi2020.08.051
3. Zhang, W., Yang, Y.Q., Zhao, G.M. et al. (2014) Interfacial reaction studies of B4C-coated and C-coated SiC fiber reinforced Ti-43Al-9V composites. Intermetallics, 50, 14- 19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intermet.2014.02.003
4. Liu, C., Huang, L.J., Geng, L. et al. (2015) In Situ Synthesis of (TiC+Ti3SiC2+Ti5Si3)/Ti6Al4V Composites with Tailored Two-scale Architecture. Advanced Engineering Materials, 17(7), 933-941. https://doi.org/10.1002/adem.201400585
5. Jong-Keuk, P., Jong-Young, C., Hyeong-Tag, J., Young-Joon, B. (2009) Structure, hardness and thermal stability of TiAlBN coatings grown by alternating deposition of TiAlN and BN. Vacuum, 84(4), 483-487. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vacuum.2009.10.013
6. Shahid, M.R., Subhani, T., Shengkai, G. Mirza, J.A. (Ed.). (2003) Study of cyclic oxidation behavior of anti-oxidation coatings on a super alloy. Pakistan: Doctor AQ Khan Research Labs, Islamabad, Pakistan.
7. Li, G., Li, L., Han, M. et al. (2019) The Performance of TiAlSiN Coated Cemented Carbide Tools Enhanced by Inserting Ti Interlayers. Metals, 9(9), 918. doi:10.3390/ met9090918 https://doi.org/10.3390/met9090918
8. Fager, H., Andersson, J.M., Lu, J. et al. (2013) Growth of hard amorphous TiAlSiN thin films by cathodic arc evaporation. Surface and Coatings Technology, 235, 376-382. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2013.07.014
9. Gizynski, M., Miyazaki, S., Sienkiewicz, J. et al. (2017) Formation and subsequent phase evolution of metastable Ti-Al alloy coatings by kinetic spraying of gas atomized powders. Surface and Coatings Technology, 315, 240-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2017.02.053
10. Machethe, K.E., Popoola, A.P.I., Adebiyi, D.I., Fayomi, O.S.I. (2017) Influence of SiC-Ti/Al on the Microstructural and Mechanical Properties of Deposited Ti-6V-4Al Alloy with Cold Spray Technique. Procedia Manufacturing, 7, 549-555. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.promfg.2016.12.069
11. Parajko, Yu.I. (2011) Regulations of wear of operating surfaces of gas-compressor unit and development of technologies of their service life increase. Problemy Tertya ta Znoshuvannya, 56, 71-83 [in Ukrainian].
12. Mikhailov, D.A. (2014) Main features of operation of GTE compressor blades and classification of their service functions. Progresyvni Tekhnologii i Systemy Mashynobuduvannya, 4(50), 126-131 [in Russian].
13. Zhuk, N.P. (2006) Course of theory of corrosion and protection of metals. Moscow, LLC TID Alliance [in Russian].
14. Kulu, P. (1988) Wear resistance of powder materials and coatings. Tallin, Valgus [in Ukrainian].
15. Liu, L. Xu, J., Li, Zh. (2013) Electrochemical Characterization of Ti5Si3/TiC Nanocomposite Coating in HCl Solution. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 8, 5086-5101.
Advertising in this issue: