TPWJ, 2009, #7, 44-48 pages
EFFECT OF COMPOSITION OF BASE METAL AND ELECTRODE COVERING ON HYGIENIC PROPERTIES OF WELDING FUMES
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 7, 2009 (July)
K.A. YUSHCHENKO, A.V. BULAT, O.G. LEVCHENKO, O.N. BEZUSHKO, V.I. SAMOJLENKO, D.I. DOVGAL and N.Yu. KAKHOVSKY
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, Kiev, Ukraine
The impact of the content of chromium and manganese in high-alloy deposited metal, and of the type of electrode covering on hygienic properties of welding fumes (WF) is considered. It is shown that a change of the chromium content in base metal within 0.30-25 wt.% does not have any essential effect on chemical composition of WF. A change of the content of manganese in base metal from 0.6 to 35 wt.% leads to a 10-15 % increase of its content in WF, and 1.5 times rise in the total level of WF emissions. The minimal level of hexavalent chromium in WF is achieved in welding by using electrodes with coverings of the rutile-silicate type.
arc welding, high-alloy steels, covered electrodes, welding fume, hygienic properties, toxicit
1. GOST 12.1.007-76: SSBT. Harmful materials. Classification and general safety requirements. Introd. 10.03.76.
2. MU 1927-78: Guidelines. Hygienic evaluation of welding consumables and methods for welding, surfacing and cutting of metals. Moscow: Minzdrav SSSR.
3. MU 4945S8: Guidelines for determination of harmful materials in welding fumes (solid phase and gases). Moscow: Minzdrav SSSR.
4. Krestovnikov, A.N., Vladimirov, L.P., Gulyanitsky, B.S. et al. (1963) Reference book on calculation of equilibria of metallurgical reactions. Moscow: GNTIChTsM.
5. Krzhizhanovsky, R.E., Shtern, Z.Yu. (1973) Thermal-physical properties of nonmetallic materials. Leningrad: Energi.
6. Pokhodnya, I.K., Yavdoshchin, I.R., Bulat, A.V. et al. (1983) Search for ways to improve hygienic characteristics of rutile type electrodes. Gigiena Truda, Issue 19, 3-9.
7. (1990) Arc welding metallurgy. Processes in arc and melting of electrodes. Ed. by I.K. Pokhodnya. Kiev: Naukova
8. Pokhodnya, I.K. (1972) Gases in welds. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
9. Yushchenko, K.A., Levchenko, O.G., Bulat, A.V. et al. (2007) Sanitary and hygienic characteristics of covered electrodes for welding high-alloy steels. The Paton Welding J., 12, 35-38.
10. (1978) Criteria for classification of MMA welding electrodes regarding fume. IIW Doc. II-E-256-78.