TPWJ, 2016, #5-6, 91-97 pages
Hybrid technology combining electron beam welding and friction stir welding in the processes of repair of aircraft structure elements of magnesium alloys
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 5-6, 2016 (May-June)
A.L. Majstrenko1, V.M. Nesterenkov2, R.V. Strashko2, S.D. Zabolotny1 and V.N. Tkach1
V.N. Bakul Institute for Superhard Materials, NASU, 2 Avtozavodskaya Str., 04074, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail:email@example.com
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, 11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
A technological process is developed for friction stir processing of surface layers of the parts from magnesium and aluminum alloys for the purpose of their modifying aimed at formation of a layer of fine-grain structure (of 1.2–4.5 μm) that is 16–63 times lower a grain size of base metal (75.8 μm). Formation of microcracks is shown at the interface of EB-weld metal and base metal of magnesium alloy ML10 as well as their absence in welding through intermediate zone with FS-modified fine-grain structure. It provided for the possibility of increase of strength of EB-welded joints from ML10 alloy. 8 Ref., 1 Table, 13 Figures.
electron beam welding, friction stir welding, modified fine-grain structure, microstructure grain size
- GOST 14957–76: Magnesium wrought alloys. Grades.
- GOST 2856–79: Magnesium cast alloys. Grades.
- Krymov, V.V. (1960) Magnesium cast alloys and their application in engineering. In: Magnesium alloys. Moscow.
- Portnoj, K.I., Lebedev, A.A. (1952) Magnesium alloys: Refer. Book. Moscow.
- Nazarenko, O.K., Nesterenkov, V.M., Neporozhny, Yu.V. (2001) Design and electron beam welding of vacuum chambers. The Paton Welding J., 6, 40–42.
- Paton, B.E., Nazarenko, O.K., Nesterenkov, V.M. et al. (2004) Computer control of electron beam welding with multi-coordinate displacements of the gun and workpiece. Ibid., 5, 2–5.
- Thomas, W.M., Nicholas, E.D., Needham, J.C. et al. Friction stir butt welding. Int. pat. appl. PCT/GB92/02203; GB pat. appl. 9125978.8; US pat. appl. 5,460,317. Publ. Dec. 1991.
- Report on R&D: Development of tools from superhard materials for friction stir welding designed for producing and restoration of structures of aeronautical and space engineering from aluminium and magnesium alloys in the frame of program RES URS R 8.6.1. Kyiv: INM.