DOI of Article
TPWJ, 2016, #9, 9-13 pages
Argon arc welding of titanium VT22 alloy using filler flux-cored wire
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #9, 2016 (September)
V.P. Prilutsky, S.L. Shvab, I.K. Petrichenko, S.V. Akhonin, S.B. Rukhansky and I.A. Radkevich
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU 11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
At the present time the use of welded assemblies and structures of high-strength titanium alloys (σt
≥ 1100 MPa) is widened. Moreover, the strength characteristics of welded joints should be at the level of characteristics of alloys. For load-carrying elements of aircrafts of AN type, high-strength two-phase (α + β)-titanium VT22 alloy is used. The aim of the work was the investigation of the influence of reducing the degree of weld metal alloying on its strength characteristics. For this purpose a completely new filler material, namely titanium flux-cored wire, for argon arc welding of VT22 alloy was developed. Despite the decrease in the degree of alloying of weld metal, its strength reaches 1121.5 MPa after the standard heat treatment, which is higher than the level of strength of the base metal (1057.5 MPa). Moreover, the impact toughness amounts to 70–75 % of the base metal impact toughness. 15 Ref., 4 Tables, 6 Figures.
titanium, welding, flux-cored wire, controlled magnetic field
- Zamkov, V.N., Shevelev, A.D., Arsenyuk, V.V. et al. (1984) Improvement of EBW technology of VT22 titanium alloy. Svarka, 1, 56–58.
- Moiseev, V.N., Kulikov, F.R., Kirilov, Yu.G. et al. (1975) Welded joints of titanium alloys. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
- Notkin, A.B., Korobov, O.S., Pertsovsky, N.Z. et al. (1982) Influence of initial structure on mode of ?-solid solution in high-strength titanium alloy VT22. Fizika Metallov i Metallovedenie, 54(Issue 4), 755–761.
- Gurevich, S.M., Kulikov, F.R., Zamkov, V.N. et al. (1975) Welding of high-strength titanium alloys. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
- Gurevich, S.M., Zamkov, V.N., Kushnirenko, N.A. et al. (1980) Selection of filler material for welding of (? + ?)-titanium alloys. In: Actual problems of welding of non-ferrous metals, 314–320. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
- Glazunov, S.G., Gruzdeva, L.F., Moiseev, V.N. et al. Filler material for welding of titanium alloys with higher ?-phase content. USSR author’s cert. 1662217. Publ. 1964.
- GOST 27265–87: Technical specifications. Welding wire from titanium and titanium alloys.
- Kulikov, F.R., Vaskin, Yu.V., Kishkina, S.I. et al. (1977) Influence of technological factors on low-cycle fatigue of VT22 alloy welded joints. Promyshlennost, 6, 65–71.
- (1978) Low-cycle fatigue of welded joints of (? + ?)-titanium alloys. In: of 3rd Int. Conf. on Titanium, Vol. 2, 273–281. Moscow: VILS.
- Gurevich, S.M., Zamkov, V.N., Blashchuk, V.E. et al. (1986) Metallurgy and technology of welding of titanium and its alloys, 128. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
- Paton, B.E., Zamkov, V.N., Prilutsky, V.P. (1996) Narrow-groove welding proves its worth on thick titanium. Welding J., 5.
- Zamkov, V.N., Prilutsky, V.P. (2005) Methods for welding titanium alloys. The Paton Welding J., 8, 41–44.
- Gurevich, S.M., Zamkov, V.N., Prilutsky, V.P. Flux-cored welding wire. Pat. 4131493 US. Publ. 1978.
- Prilutsky, V.P., Zamkov, V.N., Radkevich, I.A. et al. Filler material based on titanium alloy. 25333 Ukraine. Int. Cl. B23K 35/36. Fill. 08.05.1997. Publ. 30.10.1998.
- Anisimova, L.I., Popov, A.A., Melnikova, V.I. et al. (1977) Effect of heat treatment on structure and properties of VT22 titanium alloy. Fizika Metallov i Metallovedenie, 44(Issue 4), 843–845.