DOI of Article
TPWJ, 2019, #3, 20-26 pages
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #3, 2019 (March)
Weldability of electroslag remelted high-carbon steel at flash-butt welding
A.A. Polishko, L.B. Medovar, A.P. Stovpchenko, E.V. Antipin, A.V. Didkovsky and A.Yu. Tunik
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The paper presents the results of examination of the structure and properties of samples of rail metal produced by laboratory melting (in slightly deformed and cast state), which were obtained by electroslag remelting after flash-butt welding of rails. Examination showed that the microstructure of weld metal and heat-affected zone in both the cases features a homogeneous dense structure. Fracture of the samples took place mainly in the heat-affected zone. Strength of welded joints from metal in the cast state is lower, than that of slightly deformed one, which is apparently caused by coarse grains, the size of which can be reduced using heat treatment. Electroslag remelted rail steel in the cast and slightly deformed state has a level of mechanical properties in the range of requirements made to nonthermostrengthened rails K76 in GOST R 51045 and DSTU 4344 that reveals the prospects for application of electroslag remelting for manufacture of rails, including rail tongues, applied in as-cast state. 25 Ref., 3 Tables, 7 Figures.
Keywords: flash-butt welding, rail steel, electroslag remelting, slightly deformed and cast metal, welded joint, metallographic studies, mechanical properties
1. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Didkovsky, A.V., Shvets, V.I. et al. (2016) Flash-butt welding of high-strength rails of nowadays production. The Paton Welding J., 5-6, 4-12. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2016.06.01
3. Medovar, L.B., Stovpchenko, G.P., Polishko, G.O. et al. (2018) Modern rail steels and solutions ESR (Review). Information 1. Operating conditions and defects observed. Sovrem. Elektrometall., 1, 3-8 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.15407/sem2018.01.01
4. Medovar, L.B., Stovpchenko, G.P., Polishko, G.O. et al. (2018) Modern rail steels, application of ESR (Review). Information 2. Requirements of standards to chemical composition of steel for railway rails of main-line tracks. Ibid., 2, 28-36 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.15407/sem2018.02.03
5. Pykhtin, Ya., Levchenko, V., Ivanysenko, L. et al. (2009) Analysis of requirements of national standards on quality of railway rails and results of their service endurance. Standartyzatsiya, Sertyfikatsiya, Yakist, 4, 24-30 [in Ukrainian].
6. Rudyuk, A.S., Azarkevich, A.A., Voskovets, Yu.A. et al. (2011) Defectiveness of rails in Ukrainian railways. Put i Putevoe Khozyajstvo, 7, 28-32 [in Russian].
7. Simachev, A.S., Oskolkova, T.N., Temlyantsev, M.V. (2016) Effect of nonmetallic inclusions of rail steel on high-temperature plasticity. Izv. Vuzov. Chyorn. Metallurgiya, 59(2), 134-137 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.17073/0368-0797-2016-2-134-137
8. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Shvets, V.I., Didkovsky, A.V., Antipin, E.V. (2016) Effect of non-metallic inclusions of rail steel on welded joint formation. The Paton Welding J., 5-6, 24-28. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2016.06.04
9. Shur, E.A., Trushevsky, S.M. (2005) Effect of nonmetallic inclusions on fracture of rails and rail steel. Nonmetallic inclusions in rail steel. In: Transact. Ekaterinburg, UIM, 87-90 [in Russian].
10. Shur, E.A., Borz, A.I., Sukhov, A.V. et al. (2015) Evolution of rail damageability by contact fatigue defects. Vestnik VNIIZhT, 3, 3-8 [in Russian].
11. Velikanov, A.V., Rejkhart, V.A., Baulin, I.S., Dyakonov, V.N. (1978) Statistical justification of permissible contamination level of rail steel by stringer nonmetallic inclusions. Vestnik VNIIZhT, 8, 50-51 [in Russian].
13. Trotsan, A.I., Kaverinsky, V.V., Koshule, I.M., Nosochenko, A.O. (2013) On factors influencing the quality of rail steel and rails. Metall i Litio Ukrainy, 6, 9-14 [in Russian].
14. (1981) Electroslag metal. Ed. by B.E.Paton, B.I. Medovar. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
15. Hoyle, G. (1983) Electroslag processes: Principles and practice. Elsevier Science Ltd.
16. Medovar, B.I., Emelyanenko, Yu.G., Tikhonov, V.A. (1975) On mechanism of transformation and removal of nonmetallic inclusions in ESR process of large-section electrodes. Refining remeltings. Issue 2. Kiev, Naukova Dumka, 73-81 [in Russian].
17. Zherebtsov, S.N. (2004) Peculiarities of metal refining from nonmetallic inclusions in electroslag remelting. Omsky Naychny Vestnik, 1, 75-77 [in Russian].
18. Polishko, A.A., Saenko, V.Ya., Stepanyuk, S.N. et al. (2014) Behavior of non-metallic inclusions in structure of cast electroslag stainless steel of AISI of 316 type. Sovrem. Elektrometall., 1, 10-18 [in Russian].
19. Beshentsev, A.V., Galushka, A.A., Shur, E.A. (1992) On selection of technological scheme for manufacture of ESR rails in of Metallurgical Combine Azovstal. Problemy Spets. Elektrometallurgii, 2, 22-28 [in Russian].
20. Kayda, P., Medovar, L., Polishko, G., Stovpchenko, G. (2015) ESR possibilities to improve railroad rail steel performance. In: Proc. of 9th Int. Conf. on Clean Steel (8-10 Sept. 2015, Budapest, Hungary).
21. Medovar, L.B., Stovpchenko, A.P., Kaida, P.N. et al. (2016) New approach to the improvement of quality of billets for manufacture of high-strength rails. Sovrem. Elektrometall., 1, 7-15 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.15407/sem2016.01.01
22. Sawley, K., Reiff, R. (2000) Rail failure assessment for the office of the rail regulator. An assessment of railtrack's methods for managing broken and defective rails. P-00-070.
23. Saita, K., Rarimine, K., Ueda, M. et al. (2013) Trends in rail welding technologies and our future approach. Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Technical Report, 105.
24. Genkin, I.Z. (1951) Resistance welding of rails. Moscow, Transzheldorizdat. In: Techn. Refer. Book of railwayman. Put i Putevoe Khozyajstvo, 5, 378-390 [in Russian].
25. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Lebedev, V.K. (1976) Continuous flash-butt welding. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].