The Paton Welding Journal, 2012, #5, 40-42 pages
DEVELOPMENT OF SURFACE CRACK-LIKE DEFECT IN WELDED JOINTS OF 06GB-390 STEEL AT CYCLIC LOADING
A.Yu. BARVINKO, V.V. KNYSH, Yu.P. BARVINKO and A.N. YASHNIK
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, Kiev, Ukraine
The paper presents the results of experimental studies of a surface crack-like defect in a butt welded joint on flat specimens of 06GB-390 steel under cyclic loading to formation of a through-thickness crack. Dependence of growth of a surface crack-like defect in vertical butt welded joints on the loading cycle number was established for design rings of walls of oil storage tanks. It is shown that in the presence of surface defects in welded joints application of rolled plates of 06GB-390 steel for the design rings of tank wall provides a substantial improvement of their operational safety.
arc welding, butt welded joints, surface crack-like defect, cyclic loading, fatigue crack initiation, crack propagation, tank wall thickness
1. TU U 27.1-05418923-085:2008: Sheet products to be welded of quality steel of strength grade 355-590 for machine-building. Introd. 28.12.2006.
2. GOST 31385-2008: Steel vertical cylindrical tanks for petroleum and petroleum products. Introd. 02.06.2009.
3. PB 03-605-03: Rules of arrangement of steel vertical cylindrical tanks for petroleum and petroleum products. Introd. 09.06.2003.
4. TU 14-1-5065-2006: Amendments No.1. Plate iron of low alloy steel of grades 09G2SYuch, 09G2SYuch-U, 09KhG2SYuch and 09KhG2SYu-U. Introd. 27.12.11.
5. Poznyakov, V.D., Barvinko, A.Yu., Barvinko, Yu.P. et al. (2012) Cold resistance and lamellar fracture resistance of welded joints on steel 06GB-390. The Paton Welding J., 3, 35-39.
6. Novikov, V.I., Girenko, V.S., Bernatsky, A.V. (1985) Anisotropy of properties of rolled metal and serviceability of welded structures. Avtomatich. Svarka, 12, 13-19.
7. Nikiforchin, G.N., Student, A.Z. (1981) Application of nonlinear fracture mechanics for evaluation of resistance to corrosion crack growing. In: Transact. on Methods and Means of Corrosion Resistance Evaluation of Structural Materials. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
8. Nichols, R.V. (1975) Design and technology of pressure vessech production. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
9. DSTU-N B A.3.1-10:2008: Recommendations for conducting technical diagnostics of steel vertical tanks. Valid from 2009.