Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #8, 2016, pp. 47-57
Improvement of welding power sources in order to increase burning stability of alternating current arc
SE Research Engineering Center of Welding and Control in Power Engineering, of E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, 11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
The work studies the problems of increase of stability of alternating current arc in arc and plasma welding by means of improvement of welding power sources. It is noted that pulse increase of power source output voltage at arc polarity change, application of inductive-capacitive converters, using the power sources providing close to rectangular current waveform acquired the widest distribution among the well-known methods. It is shown that development of alternating current welding power sources, combining two or several methods and having in its design the circuits or devices providing the possibility to function in a mode of initial arc ignition (striking) as well as in a mode of its burning stabilizing, is the most efficient method. It can be achieved, in particular, by means of building of these circuits or devices in form of generators of high or increased voltage pulses with two independent forming circuits. Several variants of circuit solutions of the improved power sources for alternating current arc welding are given and described. 37 Ref., 7 Figures.
arc and plasma welding, alternating current, power sources, initial and repeated arc ignition, phase regulation, arc stability, electromagnetic compatibility, inductive-capacitive converters
- Leskov, G.I. (1970) Electric welding arc. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
- Belinsky, S.M., Garbul, A.F., Gusakovsky, V.G. et al. (1986) Equipment for arc welding: Refer. Book. Ed. by V.V. Smirnov. Leningrad: Energoatomizdat.
- (1974) Technology of electric fusion welding of metals and alloys. Ed. by B.E. Paton. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
- Dymenko, V.V. (1985) Increase of process stability and extension of technological capabilities of consumable electrode alternating current welding: Syn. of Thesis for Cand. of Techn. Sci. Degree. Kiev: PWI.
- Paton, B.E., Zaruba, I.I., Dymenko, V.V. et al. (2007) Welding power sources with pulsed stabilizing of arcing. Kiev: Ekotekhnologiya.
- Shmakov, E.I., Makhlin, N.M., Fedotenkov, V.G. et al. (1978) Application of alternating current for welding of low-alloy and alloy steels, aluminium and its alloys. i Spets. Raboty v Stroitelstve, 4, 20–22.
- Paton, B.E., Zavadsky, V.A. (1956) Pulsed arc ignition in gas and manual arc welding. Svarka, 3, 26–35.
- Lauzhadis, A.I. (1967) Influence of current frequency on arc stability and process of manual arc welding. Ibid., 9, 29–32.
- Pentegov, I.V. (1977) Examination of sinusoidal current arc burning conditions with mathematical model of dynamic arc. Ibid., 3, 8–11.
- Troitsky, V.A. (1975) Influence of electric circuit parameters on re-ignition of alternating current arc. Ibid., 11, 6–10.
- Lugin, V.P. (1975) Comparative evaluation of arcing stability in stick electrode alternating current welding. Proizvodstvo, 1, 39–40.
- Pokhodnya, I.K., Gorpenyuk, V.N., Marchenko, A.E. et al. (1979) Procedure of determination of alternating current arc stability. Svarka, 12, 16–18.
- Farson, D., Courardy, C., Talkington, J. et al. (1998) Arc initiation in gas metal arc welding. Welding J., 8, 315–321.
- Korotynsky, O.E. (2007) High-efficient power sources for arc welding based on inductive-capacitive converters: Syn. of Thesis for Dr. of Techn. Sci. Degree. Kiev.
- Paton, B.E., Lebedev, V.K. (1966) Electric equipment for arc and slag welding. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
- Pokhodnya, I.K. (1967) Melting of electrode and interconnection of metals with gases in arc welding: Syn. of Thesis for Dr. of Techn. Sci. Degree. Kiev.
- Aldenhoff, B.J. Alternating current arc power source. Pat. 3328637A1, USA. Publ. June 1967.
- Novikov, O.Ya. (1978) Stability of electric arc. Leningrad: Energiya.
- Pentegov, I.V., Dymenko, V.V., Rymar, S.V. (1995) Selection of open-circuit voltage in sources for alternating current manual arc welding. Svarka, 5, 35–40.
- Andrianov, A.A., Sidorets, V.N. (2009) Optimization of stabilizing parameters of alternating current arc welding. i Elektromekhanika, 2, 5–8.
- Makhlin, N.M. (2015) Peculiarities of contactless ignition of alternating current arc. The Paton Welding J., 10, 29–35. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2015.10.05
- Temkin, B.Ya. (1981) Theory and calculation of welding arc exciters: Syn. of Thesis for Cand. of Techn. Sci. Degree. Leningrad.
- Lenivkin, V.A., Klenov, G.G., Sagirov, Kh.N. et al. (1986) Arc ignition in consumable electrode welding. Svarka, 2, 30–34.
- Makhlin, N.M., Korotynsky, A.E. (2014) Analysis and procedure of calculation of series connection electronic devices for contactless arc excitation. The Paton Welding J., 1, 30–40. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2014.01.05
- Makhlin, N.M., Korotynsky, A.E. (2015) Asynchronous exciters and stabilizers of welding arc. Analysis and design procedure. Pt 1. Ibid., 3/4, 24–35. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2015.04.03
- Makhlin, N.M., Korotynsky, A.E. (2015) Asynchronous exciters and stabilizers of arc. Analysis and calculation procedure. Pt 2. Ibid., 7, 26–37. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2015.07.05
- Lebedev, V.K. (1995) Tendencies of development of power sources for arc welding. Svarka, 5, 3–6.
- Fedotenkov, V.G., Makhlin, N.M., Ivanov, V.Ya. Device for alternating current welding. USSR author’s cert. 1668068 A1. Int. Cl. B23 K 9/06. Publ. 07.08.1991.
- Ivanov, G.P., Rozhansky, Z.E., Serdyuk, N.A. (1973) Thyristor current controllers of welding transformers. Svarka, 11, 65–69.
- Dudko, D.A., Fedotenkov, V.G., Makhlin, N.M. et al. Device for alternating current welding. USSR author’s cert. 935225. Int. Cl. B23 K 9/06, B23 K 9/00. Publ. 15.06.1982.
- Arlauskas, V.Yu., Narushkyavichus, I.R., Dubashinsky, V.N. et al. (1974) Study of elasticity of welding arc supplied from source with induction and capacity. Proizvodstvo, 10, 14–16.
- Lebedev, V.K., Narushkyavichus, I.R. (1971) Stability of alternating current arcing in circuit with condenser. Svarka, 4, 3–5.
- Narushkyavichus, I.R., Narkyavichus, I.M., Vishnyak, I.S. (1981) Study of multioperator welding source with induction and capacity for welding of alloy steels. In: of All-Union Sci.-Techn. Conf. on Development, Study and Implementation of New Power Sources of Welding Arc (21–22 May 1981), Pt 2, 9–14.
- Troitsky, V.A. (1981) Method of smooth control of power sources containing longitudinal-capacitive compensation. Svarka, 5, 8–12.
- Lebedev, V.K., Korotynsky, A.E. (1994) Alternating current arc in circuit with series induction and capacity. Ibid., 12, 47–48.
- Goloshubov, V.I. (2005) Welding power sources: Manual. Kiev: Aristej.
- Fedotenkov, V.G., Makhlin, N.M., Yashunsky, A.Ya. et al. Device for alternating current arc welding. USSR author’s cert. 1299725 A1. Int. Cl. B23 K 9/00, 9/06. Publ. 30.03.1987.