Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #8, 2017, pp. 22-28
Increase of brittle fracture resistance of metal of heat-affected zone in railway wheel surfacing
O.A. Haivoronskyi, V.D. Poznyakov, L.I. Markashova, A.S. Shishkevich, V.A. Yashchuk and A.V. Klapatyuk
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Presented results are continuation of the complex investigations and refer to effect of low-temperature tempering, which is carried out in process of delayed cooling of products after welding, on mechanical properties and crack resistance of the joints of high-strength steel with 0.55–0.65 % carbon content. It is determined that tempering at 100 °C during four hours promotes rise of ductility property indices of quenched metal of heat-affected zone by 70 %, that of impact toughness 3 times, crack resistance 4.5 times, welded joint life duration 2 times. It is related with 1.5 times decrease of dislocation density in a volume of bainite and martensite laths as well as relaxation of stresses of II type. 14 Ref., 2 Tables, 7 Figures.
high-strength carbon steel, arc welding, heat-affected zone, low-temperature tempering, mechanical properties, brittle fracture, life
- (1972) New methods for assessment of resistance of metals to brittle fracture. Ed. by Yu.N. Robotnova. Moscow: Mir.
- Makarov, E.L. (1981) Cold cracks in welding of alloy steels. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
- Kasatkin, O.G., Mikhoduj, L.I., Kasatkin, S.B. et al. (1995) Resistance to delayed and brittle fracture of HAZ metal of 14Kh2GMR type high-strength steels. Svarka, 2, 7–10.
- Skulsky, V.Yu. (2009) Peculiarities of kinetics of delayed fracture of welded joints of hardening steels. The Paton Welding J., 7, 12–17.
- Efimenko, M.G., Radzivilova, N.O. (2003) Physical metallurgy and heat treatment of welded joints. Kharkiv: NTU KhPI. Anokhov, A.E., Korolkov, P.M. (2006) Welding and heat treatment in power engineering. Kyiv: Ekotekhnologiya. Babachenko, A.I., Litvinenko, P.L., Knysh, A.V. et al. (2011) Improvement of chemical composition of steel for railway wheels providing of their resistance invrease to defect formation on roll surface. In: Fundamental and applied problems of ferrous metallurgy: Transact., Dnepropetrovsk, 226–233.
- Gajvoronsky, A.A., Poznyakov, V.D., Markashova, L.I. et al. (2016) Brittle fracture resistance of HAZ metal in arc-welded joints of high-strength steels with carbon content of 0.55–0.65 %. The Paton Welding J., 9, 2–8. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2016.09.01
- Matveev, V.V. (2007) Restoration of railway wheels using surfacing. Kiev: PWI.
- Gajvoronsky, O.A. (2016) Conditions of quality assurance of railway wheels restored by surfacing. Science and progress of transport. Visnyk DNUZT im. V. Lazaryana, 5(65), 136–151.
- Markashova, L.I., Poznyakov, V.D., Berdnikova, E.N. et al. (2014) Effect of structural factors on mechanical properties and crack resistance of welded joints of metals, alloys and composite materials. The Paton Welding J., 6/7, 22–28. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2014.06.04
- (1990) Strength of welded joints under alternating loadings. Ed. by V.I. Trufyakov, Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
- Haivoronskyi, O.A., Poznyakov, V.D., Markashova, L.I. et al. (2016) Structure and mechanical properties of the heat-affected zone of restored railway wheels. Sci., 51(4), 563–569. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11003-016-9876-6
- Gajvoronsky, O.A., Poznyakov, V.D., Klapatyuk, A.V. (2014) Method of restoration of high-carbon steel products. 107301, Ukraine. Int. Cl. B23P 6/00.