Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #8, 2019, pp. 30-40
Application of pulsed impact in consumable electrode gas-shielded arc welding (Review)
V.A. Lebedev1, S.V. Dragan2, G.V. Zhuk1, S.V. Novikov1, I.V. Simutenkov2
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine, 11 Kazimir Malevich Str.
03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Admiral Makarov National University of Shipbuilding, 9 Heroiv Ukrainy, 54025, Mykolaiv. E-mail: email@example.com
The papers presents the main technical means and methods of pulsed control of the process of consumable electrode gas-shielded arc welding, developed over the recent years at PWI and Admiral Makarov National University of Shipbuilding. A lot of attention is given to methods using systems of pulsed impact on the processes of electrode metal transfer, weld formation and deposited metal structure. Good prospects for application of systems with pulsed dozed feed of electrode wire are shown, and results of effective control of welding and surfacing processes are given. Methods of arc welding with pulsed feed of shielding gas and two-jet gas shielding are considered, and problems are indicated, which prevent extensive application of these processes. The paper gives the results of some studies of the influence of external electromagnetic impact on electrode metal transfer, weld formation and crystallization, and presents some examples of effective application of this method of welding process control. Analysis of the methods of mechanical impact on the welding process using different oscillator systems was performed. The possibility is shown of combined control of electrode metal transfer, deposited bead formation and its metal structure, depending on the scheme of oscillation application and oscillation process parameters. The good prospects for this method application for surfacing operations are pointed out. 34 Ref., 2 Tabl., 12 Fig.
Keywords: welded joint, properties, control, technical means, analysis, application
1. Paton, B.E. (2003) Current trends of research and development in the field of welding and strength of structures. The Paton Welding J., 10-11, 5-11.
2. Makovetskaya, O.K. (2012) Main tendencies at the market of welding technologies in 2008-2011 and forecast of its development (Review). Ibid., 6, 32-38.
3. Mironov, S. (2003) Inverter power sources for arc welding. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 4, 41-43 [in Russian].
4. Saraev, Yu.N., Bezborodov, V.P., Grigorieva, A.A. et al. (2015) Control of structure and properties of welded joints of critical technical systems by methods of adaptive pulsed arc welding. Voprosy Materialovedeniya, 1, 127-131 [in Russian].
5. Paton, B.E., Lebedev, V.A., Poloskov, S.I., Lendel, I.V. (2013) Application of mechanical pulses for control of processes of automatic and mechanized consumable electrode welding. Svarka i Diagnostika, 6, 16-20 [in Russian].
6. Paton, B.E., Lebedev, V.A., Pichak, V.G., Poloskov, S.I. (2009) Evolution of systems of pulsed wire feed for welding and surfacing. Ibid., 3, 46-51 [in Russian].
7. Maksimov, S.Yu., Lebedev, V.A., Lendel, I.V. (2015) Sealing of heat exchanger pipes by «wet» welding at depth of 200 m. Voprosy Materialovedeniya, 1, 199-204 [in Russian].
8. Lebedev, V.A., Dragan, S.V., Trunin, K.K. (2016) Automatic submerged-arc welding with pulsed electrode wire feed by step motor. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 2, 27-34 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1080/09507116.2016.1223917
9. Lebedev, V.A., Guly, M.V. (2014) Fast valve electric drive for mechanized arc welding equipment. Mekhatronika. Avtomatizatsiya. Upravlenie, 6, 47-51 [in Russian].
10. Lebedev, V.A., Zhuk, G.V. (2017) Control of electrode metal transfer based on pulse algorithms of systems functioning with dosed electrode wire feed during mechanized arc welding. Tyazholoe Mashinostroenie, 6, 27-32 [in Russian].
11. Lebedev, V.A. (2016) Mechanized synergic welding with pulsed electrode wire feed. Naukoyomkie Tekhnologii v Mashinostroenii, 2, 19-24 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.12737/17802
12. Lebedev, V., Reisgen, U., Lendel, I. (2016) Study of technological opportunities of GMA welding and surfacing with pulse electrode wire feed. Welding in the World, February, 9-14. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40194-016-0321-0
13. Paton, B.E., Lebedev, V.A., Zhuk, G.V., Dragan, S.V. (2017) Mechanical pulse and vibration effects in equipment and technologies of mechanized welding and surfacing. In: Proc. of 16th Intern. Sci.-Techn. Conf. on Vibrations in Engineering and Technologies (Ukraine, Vinnytsya, 26-27 October 2017), 10-16.
14. Lebedev, V.A., Zhuk, G.V. (2017) Solution of problems of mechanized welding of thin sheet aluminium alloys based on application of programmable feed mechanism electric drives. Montazhnye i Spec. Raboty v Stroitelstve, 9, 21-24 [in Russian].
15. Denisov, L.S., Barsukov, I.V., Apolonik, S.A. (1998) Development and analysis of equipment for welding with alternate gas supply. In: Proc. of Sci. Conf. on Advanced Engineering and Technology of Machine Building, Instrument Making and Welding Production. Kiev, Vol. 4, 310-313 [in Russian].
16. Tarasov, N.M., Tulin, V.M. (1982) Control of electrode metal transfer by short-time increase of the rate of shielding gas flow. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 8, 23-25 [in Russian].
17. Zhernosekov, A.M. (2012) Tendencies in development of control of metal transfer processes in shielding gases (Review). The Paton Welding J., 1, 29-33.
18. Zhernosekov, A.M., Sidorets, V.N., Shevchuk, S.A. (2013) Combined pulsed action of shielding gases and welding current in consumable electrode welding. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 12, 9-13 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1080/09507116.2014.884326
19. Kitsch, M. (2006) Metall-Inert Gas Schweissen von Aluminium mitgepulster Schutzgaszufuhr. Schweissen und Schneiden, 58(1), 19-22 [in German].
20. Chinakhov, D.A. (2009) Effect of double-jet gas shielding on performance of welded joints on GL-E36 shipbuilding steel. The Paton Welding J., 9, 29-32.
21. Paton, B.E., Lebedev, V.A., Mikitin, Ya.I. (2006) Method of combined control of electrode metal transfer process in mechanized arc welding. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 8, 27-32 [in Russian].
22. Fedko, V.T., Solodsky, S.A., Kryukov, A.V. (2004) Pulsed welding wire feed with controlled transfer of electrode metal. In: Proc. of Sci.-Techn. Conf. on Science-Education-Production. Nizhny Tagil, Vol. 2, 100-103 [in Russian].
23. Makara, A.M., Kushnerenko, B.N. (1967) Transverse arc movements as the factor of improvement of structure and properties of welded joints. Avtomatich. Svarka, 1, 31-35 [in Russian].
24. Boldyrev, A.M. (1976) On mechanism of formation of weld metal structure at low-frequency oscillations in weld pool. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 2, 1-3 [in Russian].
25. Lebedev, V.A. (2019) Automatic underwater welding in increased gap. Remont. Vosstanovlenie. Modernizatsiya, 3, 16-20 [in Russian].
26. Sidorenko, P.Yu., Ryzhov, R.N. (2010) Application of pulse electromagnetic effects to control the process of electrode metal transfer in arc welding. The Paton Welding J., 6, 44-45.
27. Ryzhov, R.N. (2007) Influence of pulse electromagnetic actions on formation and solidification of welds. Ibid., 2, 49-50.
28. Lebedev, V.A., Tishchenko, V.A., Loj, S.A. (2019) Technical-technological effects in mechanized surfacing with modulation of modes. In: Proc. of 19th Int. Sci. and Techn. Seminar on Modern Question of Production and Repair in Industry and Transport (Slovak Republik, Kosice, February 18-23), 106-109.
29. Goloborodko, Zh.G., Dragan, S.V., Simutenkov, I.V. (2013) Automatic submerged-arc surfacing of structural steels with transverse high-frequency movements of electrode. The Paton Welding J., 6, 34-37.
30. Simutenkov, I.V., Dragan, S.V., Yaros, Yu.A. (2014) Stability of arc process in automatic submerged-arc surfacing with high-frequency electrode oscillations. Zb. Nauk. Prats NUK, 4, 43-48 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.15589/jnn20140405
31. Simutenkov, I.V., Yaros, Yu.O., Dragan, S.V., Gal, A.F. (2015) Device for automatic submerged-arc surfacing. Ukraine Pat. 10288, Int. Cl. B23K 9/00, No. u 201504821 [in Ukrainian].
32. Dragan, S.V., Simutenkov, I.V., Ignatenkov, O.V. (2012) Procedure for determination of parameters of electrode high-frequency mechanical oscillations in automatic submergedarc surfacing. Visnyk Derzh. Mashynobudivnoi Akademii, 3(28), 124-129 [in Russian].
33. Lebedev, V.A., Novikov, S.V., Zhuk, G.V. et al. (2018) Mathematical modeling of arc surfacing process with controlled variations of arc gap length. Tekhnologiya Mashinostroyeniya, 3, 56-62 [ in Russian].
34. Lebedev, V.A., Solomichuk, T.G., Novykov, S.V. (2019) Study if a welding harmonic oscillation influences on the welded metal hardness and weld bead width. J. of Eng. Sci., 6, 16-21. https://doi.org/10.21272/jes.2019.6(1).c4