Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #6, 2020, pp. 3-10
The influence of introducing refractory compounds into the weld pool on the weld metal dendritic structure
V.V. Holovko, D.Yu. Ermolenko, S.M. Stepanyuk
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine, 11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine.
A study was conducted in order to expand the knowledge base on the mechanisms of the influence of refractory compounds in
the weld pool on modification of weld metal structure. Results of experiments on inoculation of TiN, SiC, NbC, VC, TiC, TiO2,
Al2O3, MGO, ZrO2 dispersed particles to the liquid metal of the weld pool are given. Possibility of the influence of refractory
inoculants as the melt «microcoolants», centers for epitaxial initiation of a new phase in the liquid metal and surface-active
compounds on modification of the dendritic structure of the welds was analyzed. It is shown that under the conditions of welding
low-alloyed steels by flux-cored wire of «metal core» type in shielding gas atmosphere, the refractory compounds, inoculated
to the weld pool, the most actively influence modifying of the primary structure, as surface-active compounds. It is established
that the change of dendrite morphology in the weld metal influences the temperature range of the recrystallization process,
formation of secondary microstructure and mechanical properties of the welds. 10 Ref., 5 Tabl., 8 Fig.
low-carbon steel, weld, refractory inclusions, dispersed particles, dendritic structure, modification, austenite grains
1. Yermolenko D.Yu., Holovko V.V., Stepanuyk S.M. (2018) Cellular automata for simulation of dendritic growth with surface active refractory inoculants. J. of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Eng., 88, Iss. 2, June, 49-54. https://doi.org/10.5604/01.3001.0012.6151
2. (2008) International standard ISO 14175:2008. Welding
consumables – Gases and gas mixtures for fusion welding
and allied processes.
3. (2008) International standard ISO 9692-1:2008. Welding and
allied processes – Recommendations for joint preparation. Part
1: Manual metal-arc welding, gas-shielded metal-arc welding,
gas welding, TIG welding and beam welding of steels.
4. (2003) International standard ISO 17639:2003. Destructive
tests on welds in metallic materials – Macroscopic and
microscopic examination of welds.
5. (1990) IIW Doc. No.IX-1533-88. Guide to the light
microscope examination of ferritic steel weld metals. Revue
de la soudure, 4, 29–41.
6. (2009) International standard ISO 15792-1:2009. Welding
consumables – Test methods. Part 1: Test methods for allweld
metal test specimens in steel, nickel and nickel alloys.
7. Gubenko, S.I., Parusov, V.V., Derevyanchenko, I.V. (2005)
Nonmetallic inclusions in steel. Dnepropetrovsk, ART-Press
8. Zatulovsky, S.S. (1981) Suspension pouring. Kiev, Naukova
Dumka [in Russian].
9. Gubenko, S.I., Oshkaderov, S.P. (2013) Nonmetallic
inclusions in steel. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
10. Babaskin, Yu.Z. (1980) Structure and properties of cast steel.
Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
Advertising in this issue: