Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #3, 2021, pp. 29-34
Investigation of temperature state of copper plate in the weld zone at friction STIR welding
M.A. Poleshchuk, A.V. Shevtsov, I.V. Dotsenko, V.M. Teplyuk, O.V. Kolisnichenko, L.M. Malakhova
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
Chromel-alumel thermocouples were used to study the temperature state of 10 mm copper plates at simulation of the process
of friction stir welding. Thermocouples were welded on in blind holes located along the line of welding tool displacement that
allowed recording the copper temperature at the moment of weld formation under different welding conditions. In the studied
range of variation of process parameters, the metal temperature is mainly influenced by the area of interaction of the welding
tool working surface with the plate, while the speed of tool rotation has a minor effect. At the moment of weld formation the
metal temperature varied from 528 up to 980 in different modes. 13 Ref., 3 Tabl., 3 Fig.
friction stir welding, copper plates, thermocouples, welds, formation temperature
1. Thomas, W.M. (1991) Friction stir butt welding. Pat. 9125978.8 GB, Publ. 01.12.91.
2. Dawes, C., Thomas, W. (1995) TWI Bull., 6, Nov/Dec.
3. Savolainen, K. (2012) DPh: Friction stir welding of copper and microstructure and properties of the weld. Aalto University publication series 13/2012.
4. Manish P. Meshram, Basanth Kumar Kodli, Suhash R. (2014) Dey: Friction stir welding of austenitic stainless steel by pcbn tool and its joint analyses. In: Proc. of 3rd Int. Conf. on Materials Processing and Characterization (ICMPC 2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mspro.2014.07.016
5. Brian T. Thompson. (2010) Thesis: Tool Degradation Characterization in the Friction Stir Welding of Hard Metals. The Ohio State University.
6. De P.S., Kumar N., Mishra R.S. (2005) Fundamentals of Friction Stir Welding. ASM Handbook. 6A, 186-199.
7. Hwang, Y.M., Fan, P.L., Lin, C.H. (2010) Experimental study on friction stir welding of copper metal. J. Materials Proc. Technology, 210, 1667-1672. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2010.05.019
8. Pavlova, V.I., Alifirenko, E.A., Osokin, E.P. (2009) Study of temperature-time conditions of welding heating, structure and properties of metal of butt joints from aluminium-magnesium alloy produced by friction stir welding. ISSN 1994-6716. Voprosy Materialovedeniya, 4, 60. St.-Petersburg, TsNII KM Prometey [in Russian].
9. Grigorenko, G.M., Poleshchuk, M.A., Adeeva, L.I. et al. (2016) Peculiarities of structure of Cu-Cu, Ni-Cu and steel- Cu joints produced by overlap friction stir welding method. The Paton Welding J., 5-6, 75-80. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2016.06.13
10. Krasnovsky, K., Khokhlova, Yu.A., Khokhlov, M.A. (2019) Influence of tool shape for friction stir welding on physicomechanical properties of welded joints of EN AW 6082-T6 aluminium alloy. Ibid., 7, 9-15 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.15407/as2019.07.02
11. Grigorenko, G.M., Adeeva, L.I., Tunik, A.Yu. et al. (2015) Restoration repair of slab copper moulds of MCCB. Structure and properties of metal in the joint zone. Sovrem. Elektrometal., 1, 44-49 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.15407/sem2015.01.07
12. Grigorenko, G.M., Adeeva, L.I., Tunik, A.Yu. et al. (2014) Structural features of FSW joints of metals with different element solubility in the solid phase. The Paton Welding J., 4, 13-23. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2014.04.01
13. https://www.bnl.gov/magnets/Staff/Gupta/cryogenic-datahandbook/ Section 15.pdf.
Advertising in this issue: