Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #6, 2022, pp. 3-10
Influence of microalloying with boron on the structure and properties of deposited metal of the type of tool steel 25Kh5FMS
A.A. Babinets, I.O. Ryabtsev, I.P. Lentyugov, I.L. Bogaichuk
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the work, the influence of different amounts of boron microadditives on the structure and operational properties of metal of the
type of tool steel 25Kh5FMS, produced by arc welding using the experimental flux-cored wires, was experimentally determined.
Microalloying additives were introduced directly into the charge of experimental flux-cored wires during their manufacture. It was
found that microalloying of the deposited metal of the type of steel 25Kh5FMS with boron in the amount of 0.007...0.04 % does
not deteriorate the quality of deposited beads formation and separation of the slag crust. At the same time, when the boron content
in the deposited metal is ≥ 0.02%, the formation of a large number of crystallization cracks is observed, which has an extremely
negative effect on its operational properties. Moreover, it was experimentally found that the introduction of boron microadditives
in the amount of 0.007...0.01% to the deposited metal of the type 25Kh5FMS leads to an increase in its heat resistance and wear
resistance at elevated temperatures by 1.2...2.0 times. With an optimal content of microalloying additives, a refinement of the
structure of the deposited metal, some increase in microhardness and, probably, the formation of complex spherical carboborides
in the alloy matrix occur. In view of the obtained data, it is recommended to use boron in the deposited metal of the type of tool
steel 25Kh5FMS in the amount of 0.007...0.01% in order to improve its operational properties. 12 Ref., 4 Tabl., 11 Fig.
arc surfacing, microalloying, deposited metal, flux-cored wire, wear resistance, heat resistance, microstructure
1. Ryabtsev, I.A., Senchenkov, I.K., Turyk, E.V. (2015) Surfacing. Materials, technologies, mathematical modeling. Gliwice, Wydawnictwo Politechniki Śląskiej. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2015.06.29
2. Kondratiev, I.A., Ryabtsev, I.A. (2014) Flux-cored wires for surfacing of steel hot mill rolls. The Paton Welding J., 6-7, 95-96. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2014.06.20
3. Zhudra, A.P., Voronchuk, A.P. (2012) Cladding flux-cored strips (Review). The Paton Welding Journal, 1, 34-38.
4. Bely, A.I., Zhudra, A.P., Dzykovich, V.I., Petrov, V.V. (2018) Electrodes for arc hardfacing of composite alloys. Ibid, 1, 29-32. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2018.01.06
5. Student, M.M., Voytovych, A.A., Sirak, Ya.Ya., Gvozdetskyi, V.M. (2020) Development of new electrode materials, methods of restoration and protection of thin-walled parts of equipment, which are operated under the conditions of abrasive and gas-abrasive wear. Ibid, 10, 31-34. https://doi.org/10.37434/tpwj2020.10.06
6. Babinets, A.A., Ryabtsev, I.O. (2021) Classification of methods of modification and microalloying of deposited metal (Review). Ibid, 9, 2-8. https://doi.org/10.37434/tpwj2021.09.01
7. Babinets, A.A., Ryabtsev, I.O. (2021) Influence of modification and microalloying on deposited metal structure and properties (Review). Ibid, 10, 3-10. https://doi.org/10.37434/tpwj2021.10.01
8. Gladky, P.V., Mikaelyan, G.S. (2015) Microalloying and modification of wear-resistant deposited metal. In: Surfacing. Technologies, materials, equipment. Kyiv, PWI, 71-73 [in Russian].
9. Stepnov, K.K., Matvienko, V.N., Oldakovsky, A.I. (2011) Modification of medium-chromium deposited metal. The Paton Welding J., 8, 10-12.
10. Krivchikov, S.Yu. (2012) Modification by boron of deposited metal of white cast iron type. Ibid, 6, 19-21.
11. Hou, Q.Y., Huang, Z., Wang, J.T. (2011) Influence of nano- Al2O3 particles on the microstructure and wear resistance of the nickel-based alloy coating deposited by plasma transferred arc overlay welding. Surf.Coat.Technol., 206/8-9, 2806-2812. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2010.10.047
12. Ryabtsev, I.I., Chernyak, Ya.P., Osin, V.V. (2004) Modular unit for testing of deposited metal. Svarshchik, 1, 18-20 [in Russian].
Advertising in this issue: