Technical Diagnostics and Non-Destructive Testing #2, 2021, pp. 38-45
Diagnosis of induction motors by using the influence of higher current harmonics
E.V. Demenchuk1, V.P. Shaida2, L.V. Shilkova2, O.Yu. Yurieva2
PJSC «Ilyich Iron and Steel Works». 1 Levchenko str., 87504, Mariupol, Ukraine.
National Technical University «Kharkiv Polytechnic Institute». 2 Kyrpychova str., 61002, Kharkiv, Ukraine.
The questions of the influence of current harmonics of a power supply network on the work of induction electric motors in
the conditions of the modern energy-intensive enterprise are considered. It is proposed to use dynamic testing to diagnose the
operation of AC motors powered by the general network. The influence of frequency-regulated electric drives on the general
power supply network is determined. The sinusoidal shape of the network current is distorted. The harmonious composition and
magnitudes of the amplitudes of higher harmonics in the distributions of phase voltages and currents of the studied induction
motors are obtained. The operation of АС motors, when powered from the general network with connected and unconnected
frequency-regulated electric drives, is analyzed. The consequences of the operation of AC motors when working with the nonsinusoidal
distribution of phase currents in time are revealed. Deviations in the parameters of the general network, powering the
electric motors, which can lead to failure of electric machines, are determined. It is proved that when AC motors are powered
from a network with frequency-regulated electric drives, there appear pulsations in the torque spectrum at frequencies that are
not inherent in normal operation. Peculiarities of balancing the rotating parts of the units during operation of frequency-regulated
electric drives in the general electric network are revealed. Ways to solve this problem are suggested. 11 Ref., 17 Fig.
induction motor, dynamic testing, general power supply network, frequency-regulated electric drives, higher harmonics
of current and voltage, non-sinusoidal distribution of phase currents in time, torque spectrum, balancing of rotating parts
1. Hubarevych, O.V. (2016) Reliability and diagnostics of electrical
equipment: Textbook. Severodonetsk, Vyd-vo SNU [in
2. Zagirnyak, M., Mamchur, D., Kalinov, A. (2012) Comparison
of induction motor diagnostic methods based on spectra
analysis of current and instantaneous power signals. Przeglad
Elektrotechniczny (Electrical Review), 12b, 221–224.
3. Sapena-Bano, A., Burriel-Valencia, J., Pineda-Sanchez, M., Puche-Panadero, R., RieraGuasp, M. (2017) The harmonic order tracking analysis method for the fault diagnosis in induction motors under time-varying conditions. IEEE Transact. on Energy Conversion, 32(1), 244-256. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2016.2626008
4. Somka, O.O., Prus, V.V. (2015) Computerized diagnostic system for testing electrical machines for reliability. Elektrotekhnika i Elektromekhanika, 3, 27-30 [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.20998/2074-272X.2015.3.04
5. Park, B., Lee, J., Yoo, H., Jang, G. (2021) Harmonic mitigation using passive harmonic filters: Сase study in a steel mill power system. Energies 14, 2278. https://doi.org/10.3390/en14082278
6. DSTU EN 50160:2014 (EN 50160:2007, IDT) Characteristics
of power supply voltage supplied by general purpose
distribution networks. Kyiv, Ministry of Economic Development
of Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
7. DSTU ISO 17359:2019: Machine condition monitoring and
diagnostics. General guidelines [in Ukrainian].
8. Ostashevskyi, M.O., Yurieva, O.Yu. (2017) Electric machines
and transformers: Textbook. Ed. by V.I. Milykh.
Kharkiv, IE Panov A.M. [in Ukrainian].
9. Megger official site. https://megger.com/dynamic-motor-
10. Rusov, V.A. (2012) Diagnosis of defects of the rotating
equipment on vibration signals. Perm, RF [in Russian].
11. Volkov, I.V., Kurlchuk, M.N., Pentegov, I.V, Rymar, S.
(2005). Improvement of power quality in the industrial enterprise
networks by means of current filters of the supreme
harmonics. Visnyk Pryazov. DTU, Pt.2: Energetyka, 15, 15–
19 [in Russian].
Advertising in this issue: