TPWJ, 2010, #4, 37-41 pages
FRICTION STIR WELDING AS AN EFFECTIVE METHOD TO IMPROVE STRUCTURE PERFORMANCE
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 4, 2010 (April)
A.A. POKLYATSKY, A.Ya. ISHCHENKO, A.A. CHAJKA and T.M. LABUR
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, Kiev, Ukraine
Main advantages of weld formation in the solid phase as a result of plastic deformation of metal in friction stir welding of auminium alloys are considered. Examples of using this process in the developed countries to produce welded structures in various engineering sectors and the resulting saving of the resources are given. Structures, weakening degree, strength, values of resistance to off-center tension of samples, and levels of residual stresses and strains in high-strength aluminium alloy welded joints produced by friction stir welding and nonconsumable-electrode argon-arc welding are analyzed.
high-temperature aluminium alloys, friction stir welding, nonconsumable-electrode argon-arc welding, microstructure, hardness, strength, off-center tension
1. Fridlyander, I.N. (2002) Aluminium alloys in aircraft in periods of 1970-2000 and 2001-2015. Tekhnologiya Lyog. Splavov, 4, 12-17.
2. Ryazantsev, V.I., Fedoseev, V.A. (1997) Welding of structures of orbital aircraft Buran. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 4, 31-36.
3. Gorynin, I.V., Zolotarevsky, Yu.S., Rybin, V.V. et al. (1999) Metal science concepts in development of wrought aluminium alloys for high-speed sea ships. Voprosy Metallovedeniya, 3, 197-209.
4. Ishchenko, A.Ya. (1985) Character of hot cracks formed in fusion welding of high-strength aluminium alloys. In: Current problems of welding of non-ferrous metals. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
5. Dawes, C.J. (1995) An introduction to friction stir welding and its development. Welding and Metal Fabr., 1, 13-16.
6. Dawes, C.J., Thomas, W.M. (1996) Friction stir process welds aluminum alloys. Welding J., 3, 41-45.
7. Defalco, J. (2006) Friction stir welding vs. fusion welding. Ibid., 3, 42-44.
8. Lahti, K. (2003) FSW Д possibilities in shipbuilding. Svetsaren, 1, 6-8.
9. Kallee, S.W., Davenport, J., Nicholas, E.D. (2002) Railway manufacturers implement friction stir welding. Welding J., 10, 47-50.
10. Hinrichs, J.F., Norik, J.S., McDonald, W.M. et al. (2001) Challenges of welding aluminium alloys for automotive structures. Svetsaren, 12, 281-287.
11. Arbegast, W.J. (2006) Friction stir welding after a decade of development. Welding J., 3, 28-35.
12. Ding, J., Carter, R., Lawless, K. et al. (2006) Friction stir welding flies high at NASA. Ibid., 3, 54-59.