TPWJ, 2010, #10, 33-36 pages
IMPROVEMENT OF CYCLIC FATIGUE LIFE OF WELDED JOINTS WITH ACCUMULATED FATIGUE DAMAGE BY HIGH-FREQUENCY PEENING
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 10, 2010 (October)
V.V. KNYSH, S.A. SOLOVEJ and A.Z. KUZMENKO
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, Kiev, Ukraine
The paper gives the results of investigation of the effectiveness of application of high-frequency mechanical peening (HFMP) with multistep and block loading to improve residual fatigue life of welded joints of low-alloyed steels with 50 % level of accumulated fatigue damages. It is established that application of HFMP technology allows 9-12 times improvement of cyclic fatigue life of such joints.
welded structures, fatigue damage accumulation, high-frequency mechanical peening, сycliс fatigue life, effectiveness
1. Knysh, V.V., Kuzmenko, A.Z., Vojtenko, O.V. (2006) Increasing fatigue resistance of welded joints by high-frequency mechanical peening. The Paton Welding J., 1, 30-33.
2. Garf, E.F., Litvinenko, A.E., Smirnov, A.Kh. (2001) Assessment of fatigue life of tubular connections subjected to ultrasonic peening treatment. Ibid., 2, 12-15.
3. Knysh, V.V., Kuzmenko, A.Z., Solovej, S.A. (2009) Increase of cyclic fatigue life of tee welded joints with surface cracks. Ibid., 1, 29-33.
4. Troshchenko, V.T., Sosnovsky, L.A. (1987) Fatigue resistance of metals and alloys: Refer. Book. Pt 1. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
5. Knysh, V.V., Kuzmenko, A.Z., Solovej, S.A., (2008) Accumulation of fatigue damage in tee welded joints of 09G2S steel in the initial condition and after strengthening by highfrequency mechanical peening. The Paton Welding J., 10, 10-15.
6. Knysh, V.V., Kuzmenko, O.Z., Solovej, S.O. (2009) Accumulation of fatigue damage in tee welded joints in the initial condition and after strengthening by high-frequency mechanical peening under block loading. Mashynoznavstvo, 9, 27-31.