TPWJ, 2019, #11, 44-49 pages
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #11, 2019 (November)
Procedure of accelerated corrosion testing for modeling the long-term effect of moderate climate atmosphere on welded joints
V.V. Knysh, S.O. Osadchuk, S.O. Solovei, L.I. Nyrkova and A.O. Rybakov
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
We propose a procedure of accelerated corrosion testing of welded joints for modeling the long-term effect of the most significant climatic factors of moderate climate atmosphere (temperature and relative humidity) on them. Duration of accelerated testing of welded joints in the humidity chamber to obtain corrosion damage, which is characteristic for welded joints of metal structures after approximately 12 years of operation, is substantiated. Fatigue testing of butt and tee welded joints of 15KhSND steel after preliminary exposure to 2 mln cycles at maximum stresses of 150 MPa, corrosion testing under the conditions of higher temperature and relative humidity without strengthening and with further strengthening by the technology of high-frequency mechanical peening, were performed. It is found that strengthening by the technology of high-frequency mechanical peening improves 10 times the cyclic fatigue life of butt and tee welded joints with accumulated fatigue and corrosion damage. 23 Ref., 5 Figures.
Keywords: welded joint, corrosive environment, fatigue, accelerated corrosion testing, high-frequency mechanical peening, improvement of cyclic fatigue life
1. Kovtunenko, V.A., Sineok, A.G., Gerasimenko, A.M., Zadorozhny, V.A. (2005) Typical damages of welded metal structures of bridges. The Paton Welding J., 10, 27-32.
2. Ushakov, I.I., Mishchenko, V.Ya., Ushakov, S.I. (2013) Corrosion damage of steel structures and fundamentals of diagnostics: Manual. Moscow, ASB [in Russian].
3. Toyoda, M. (1995) How steel structures fared in Japan's great earthquake. Welding J., 74, 31-42.
4. Takanori Deluchi, Masashi Mouri, Junya Hara et al. (2012) Fatigue strength improvement for ship structures by ultrasonic peening. J. of Marine Sci. and Technol., 17(3), 360-369. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00773-012-0172-3
5. Fisher, J.W., Statnikov, E., Tehini, L. (2002) Fatigue strength improvement of bridge girders by ultrasonic impact treatment (UIT). Welding in the World, 46(9-10), 34-40. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03377347
6. Fikri Bashar Yalchiner, Zuheir Barsoum (2017) Life extension of welded structures using HFMI techniques - potential application to offshore structures. Procedia Structural Integrity, 5, 377-384. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prostr.2017.07.185
7. Kirkhope, K.J., Bell, R., Caron, L. et al. (1999) Weld detail fatigue life improvement techniques. Pt 2: Application to ship structures. Marine Structures, 12(7-8), 477-496. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0951-8339(99)00031-3
8. Kudryavtsev, Y., Kleiman, J., Lugovskoy, A. et al. (2007) Rehabilitation and repair of welded elements and structures by ultrasonic peening. Welding in the World, 51(7-8), 47-53. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03266585
9. (1989) GOST 9.911-89: Unified system of corrosion and ageing protection. Weather-resistant steel. Accelerated corrosion test method [in Russian].
10. (1985) GOST 9.308-85: Unified system of corrosion and ageing protection. Metal and non-metal inorganic coatings. Methods of accelerated corrosion tests [in Russian].
11. (2006) ISO 9227-2006: Corrosion tests in artificial atmospheres. Salt spray tests.
12. (2015) DSTU ISO 6270-2:2015: Paints and varnishes. Determination of resistance to humidity. Pt 2: Procedure for exposing test specimens in condensation-water atmospheres [in Ukrainian].
13. (2015) DSTU ISO 12944-6:2015: Paints and varnishes. Corrosion protection of steel structures by protective paint systems. Pt 6: Laboratory performance test methods [in Ukrainian].
14. (2002) GOST R 51910-2002: Research and testing strategy by accelerated methods of environmental conditions influence for industrial products longevity and storage ability. Development and design [in Russian].
15. (2015) DSTU ISO 12944-1:2015: Paints and varnishes. Corrosion protection of steel structures by protective paint systems. Pt 1: General introduction.
16. (1974) GOST 9.039-74: Unified system of corrosion and ageing protection. Metals and alloys. Corrosion aggressiveness of atmosphere [in Russian].
17. (2015) ISO 12944-2:2015: Paints and varnishes. Corrosion protection of steel structures by protective paint systems. Pt 2: Classification of environments.
18. (1974) GOST 9.040-74: Unified system of corrosion and ageing protection. Metals and alloys. Calculated and experimental method for accelerated test of corrosion losses in atmospheric conditions [in Russian].
19. Semiokhin, I.A. (2001) Physical chemistry: Manual. Moscow, MGU [in Russian].
20. (2002) DBN V.2.3-6-2002: Transport structures. Bridges and pipes. Survey and test [in Russian].
21. (2008) ODM 218.4.001-2008: Guidelines on organization of survey and test of bridge structures on car roads [in Russian].
22. Knysh, V.V., Solovei, S.A.,Kirian, V.I., Bulash, V.N. (2018) Improvement of fatigue corrosion resistance of welded joints by high-frequency mechanical peening. Problemy Prochnosti, 3, 91-97 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11223-018-9988-3