The Paton Welding Journal, 2022, #6, 11-16 pages
Formation of composite coatings by the method of supersonic plasma spraying of powders based on TiAl intermetallic with non-metallic refractory compounds SiC and Si3N4
Yu.S. Borysov, N.V. Vihilianska, M.V. Kolomytsev, K.V. Iantsevych, O.M. Burlachenko, T.V. Tsymbalista
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Studies of the structural-phase state, erosion and corrosion resistance of coatings of TiAl-SiC and TiAl–Si3N4 systems, produced
by the method of supersonic air-gas plasma spraying, are presented. As materials for spraying, composite powders,
produced by the method of mechanic and chemical synthesis based on TiAl intermetallic with the addition of non-metallic
refractory compounds SiC and Si3N4 were used. Comparison of the phase composition of the produced coatings of TiAl-SiC
and TiAl‒Si3N4 systems with the phase composition of the composite powder after mechanic and chemical synthesis indicates
proceeding of processes of interaction of TiAl with non-metallic refractory compounds, as a result of which the phases of SiC
and Si3N4 are not observed in the coating. Due to the presence of strengthening phases in the coatings, the erosion resistance of
the composite coatings increases by 1.3‒1.5 times as compared to TiAl intermetallic coating. Electrochemical tests found that
the coatings of TiAl—SiC and TiAl‒Si3N4 systems are capable to provide the protection of steel, aluminium and titanium base
in the environment containing sodium chloride with an increase in resistance by 5‒155 times. On the basis of the conducted
studies of functional properties of the developed composite coatings, the possibility of their use for the protection of parts subjected
to erosive wear and corrosion is shown.
intermetallic, non-metallic refractory compound, supersonic air-gas plasma spraying, structure, phase composition,
erosive wear, corrosion resistance
1. Noda, T. (1998) Application of cast gamma TiAl for automobiles. Intermetallics, 6 (7-8), 709-713. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-9795(98)00060-0
2. ЛLobanov, L.M., Asnis, Yu.A., Piskun, N.V., Statkevych, I.I. (2020) Improvement of mechanical properties of β-stable intermetallics of TiAl system by floating-zone refining. Dopov. NANU, 8, 51-56. https://doi.org/10.15407/dopovidi2020.08.051
3. Zhang, W., Yang, Y.Q., Zhao, G.M. et al. (2014) Interfacial reaction studies of B4C-coated and C-coated SiC fiber reinforced Ti-43Al-9V composites. Intermetallics, 50, 14- 19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intermet.2014.02.003
4. Liu, C., Huang, L.J., Geng, L. et al. (2015) In Situ Synthesis of (TiC+Ti3SiC2+Ti5Si3)/Ti6Al4V Composites with Tailored Two-scale Architecture. Advanced Engineering Materials, 17(7), 933-941. https://doi.org/10.1002/adem.201400585
5. Jong-Keuk, P., Jong-Young, C., Hyeong-Tag, J., Young-Joon, B. (2009) Structure, hardness and thermal stability of TiAlBN coatings grown by alternating deposition of TiAlN and BN. Vacuum, 84(4), 483-487. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vacuum.2009.10.013
6. Shahid, M.R., Subhani, T., Shengkai, G. Mirza, J.A. (Ed.). (2003) Study of cyclic oxidation behavior of anti-oxidation coatings on a super alloy. Pakistan: Doctor AQ Khan Research Labs, Islamabad, Pakistan.
7. Li, G., Li, L., Han, M. et al. (2019) The Performance of TiAlSiN Coated Cemented Carbide Tools Enhanced by Inserting Ti Interlayers. Metals, 9(9), 918. doi:10.3390/ met9090918 https://doi.org/10.3390/met9090918
8. Fager, H., Andersson, J.M., Lu, J. et al. (2013) Growth of hard amorphous TiAlSiN thin films by cathodic arc evaporation. Surface and Coatings Technology, 235, 376-382. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2013.07.014
9. Gizynski, M., Miyazaki, S., Sienkiewicz, J. et al. (2017) Formation and subsequent phase evolution of metastable Ti-Al alloy coatings by kinetic spraying of gas atomized powders. Surface and Coatings Technology, 315, 240-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2017.02.053
10. Machethe, K.E., Popoola, A.P.I., Adebiyi, D.I., Fayomi, O.S.I. (2017) Influence of SiC-Ti/Al on the Microstructural and Mechanical Properties of Deposited Ti-6V-4Al Alloy with Cold Spray Technique. Procedia Manufacturing, 7, 549-555. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.promfg.2016.12.069
11. Parajko, Yu.I. (2011) Regulations of wear of operating surfaces of gas-compressor unit and development of technologies of their service life increase. Problemy Tertya ta Znoshuvannya, 56, 71-83 [in Ukrainian].
12. Mikhailov, D.A. (2014) Main features of operation of GTE compressor blades and classification of their service functions. Progresyvni Tekhnologii i Systemy Mashynobuduvannya, 4(50), 126-131 [in Russian].
13. Zhuk, N.P. (2006) Course of theory of corrosion and protection of metals. Moscow, LLC TID Alliance [in Russian].
14. Kulu, P. (1988) Wear resistance of powder materials and coatings. Tallin, Valgus [in Ukrainian].
15. Liu, L. Xu, J., Li, Zh. (2013) Electrochemical Characterization of Ti5Si3/TiC Nanocomposite Coating in HCl Solution. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 8, 5086-5101.