The Paton Welding Journal, 2022, #6, 3-10 pages
Influence of microalloying with boron on the structure and properties of deposited metal of the type of tool steel 25Kh5FMS
A.A. Babinets, I.O. Ryabtsev, I.P. Lentyugov, I.L. Bogaichuk
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
In the work, the influence of different amounts of boron microadditives on the structure and operational properties of metal
of the type of tool steel 25Kh5FMS, produced by arc surfacing using the experimental flux-cored wires, was experimentally
determined. Microalloying additives were introduced directly into the charge of experimental flux-cored wires during their
manufacture. It was found that microalloying of the deposited metal of the type of steel 25Kh5FMS with boron in the amount
of 0.007‒0.04 % does not deteriorate the quality of deposited beads formation and separation of the slag crust. At the same
time, when the boron content in the deposited metal is ≥ 0.02 %, the formation of a large number of crystallization cracks is
observed, which has an extremely negative effect on its operational properties. Moreover, it was experimentally found that
the introduction of boron microadditives in the amount of 0.007‒0.01 % to the deposited metal of the type 25Kh5FMS leads
to an increase in its heat resistance and wear resistance at elevated temperatures by 1.2‒2.0 times. With an optimal content of
microalloying additives, a refinement of the structure of the deposited metal, some increase in microhardness and, probably,
the formation of complex spherical carboborides in the alloy matrix occur. In view of the obtained data, it is recommended to
use boron in the deposited metal of the type of tool steel 25Kh5FMS in the amount of 0.007‒0.01 % in order to improve its
arc surfacing, microalloying, deposited metal, flux-cored wire, wear resistance, heat resistance, microstructure
1. Ryabtsev, I.A., Senchenkov, I.K., Turyk, E.V. (2015) Surfacing. Materials, technologies, mathematical modeling. Gliwice, Wydawnictwo Politechniki Śląskiej.
2. Kondratiev, I.A., Ryabtsev, I.A. (2014) Flux-cored wires for surfacing of steel hot mill rolls. The Paton Welding J., 6-7, 95-96. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2014.06.20
3. Zhudra, A.P., Voronchuk, A.P. (2012) Cladding flux-cored strips (Review). The Paton Welding Journal, 1, 34-38.
4. Bely, A.I., Zhudra, A.P., Dzykovich, V.I., Petrov, V.V. (2018) Electrodes for arc hardfacing of composite alloys. Ibid, 1, 29-32. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2018.01.06
5. Student, M.M., Voytovych, A.A., Sirak, Ya.Ya., Gvozdetskyi, V.M. (2020) Development of new electrode materials, methods of restoration and protection of thin-walled parts of equipment, which are operated under the conditions of abrasive and gas-abrasive wear. Ibid, 10, 31-34. https://doi.org/10.37434/tpwj2020.10.06
6. Babinets, A.A., Ryabtsev, I.O. (2021) Classification of methods of modification and microalloying of deposited metal (Review). Ibid, 9, 2-8. https://doi.org/10.37434/tpwj2021.09.01
7. Babinets, A.A., Ryabtsev, I.O. (2021) Influence of modification and microalloying on deposited metal structure and properties (Review). Ibid, 10, 3-10. https://doi.org/10.37434/tpwj2021.10.01
8. Gladky, P.V., Mikaelyan, G.S. (2015) Microalloying and modification of wear-resistant deposited metal. In: Surfacing. Technologies, materials, equipment. Kyiv, PWI, 71-73 [in Russian].
9. Stepnov, K.K., Matvienko, V.N., Oldakovsky, A.I. (2011) Modification of medium-chromium deposited metal. The Paton Welding J., 8, 10-12.
10. Krivchikov, S.Yu. (2012) Modification by boron of deposited metal of white cast iron type. Ibid, 6, 19-21.
11. Hou, Q.Y., Huang, Z., Wang, J.T. (2011) Influence of nano- Al2O3 particles on the microstructure and wear resistance of the nickel-based alloy coating deposited by plasma transferred arc overlay welding. Surf.Coat.Technol., 206/8-9, 2806-2812. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2010.10.047
12. Ryabtsev, I.I., Chernyak, Ya.P., Osin, V.V. (2004) Modular unit for testing of deposited metal. Svarshchik, 1, 18-20 [in Russian].