Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #5, 2020, pp. 45-52
Development of inductors for bulk and surface heat treatment of welded butt joints of railway rails
O.S. Prokof’ev, R.S. Gubatyuk, O.S. Pysmenii, S.V. Rymar, Ye.O. Panteleimonov
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of NAS of Ukraine, 11 Kazymyr Malevich Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine.
The paper presents the concept of bulk and surface heat treatment of the welded butt joint of a railway rail by two or more
inductors with the purpose of achieving favourable phase transformations of metal and normalizing its structure in the weld zone.
Performed computations and experiments resulted in development of detachable inductors without magnetic circuits, which
allow performance of bulk and surface induction heat treatment. Conducted experiments on heating a welded butt joint of a rail
by the developed detachable inductor without the magnetic circuit demonstrated heating uniformity characteristics acceptable
for bulk heat treatment of rails, limit temperatures and rates of heating of the main rail working areas both on the surface and
in-depth in a narrow heating zone. 19 Ref., 2 Tabl., 8 Fig.
inductor, induction heating, bulk heat treatment, surface heat treatment, welded butt joint of railway rails,
normalizing of weld zone metal
1. Gubatyuk, R.S. (2019) Heat treatment of welded joints of highstrength railway rails ( Review). The Paton Welding J., 2, 41-48. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2019.02.07
2. Taras, P., Fireteanu, V. (2010) Inductors for continuous induction heating of rails. Induktsionnyj Nagrev, 4 (14), 21-26 [in Russian].
3. Skoblo, T.S., Sapozhkov, V.E., Aleksandrova, N.M., Sidashenko, A.I. (2014) uality of thermally-hardened rails and rail bases. Investigations. Theory. Equipment. Technology. Operation. Ed. by T.S. Skoblo. Kharkov, LLC Shchedra Sadyba Plus [in Russian].
4. Pantelejmonov, E.A., Pismenny, A.A. (2015) Inductor for continuous heating in hardening of railway rail head. The Paton Welding J., 3/4, 74-76. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2015.04.11
5. Panov, V.I. (2018) Evaluation of technological heredity of metal of solid structures before their repair welding. Svarshchik, 1, 9-11 [in Russian].
6. (2005) DSTU 4344:2004: Normal rails for full-gauge railway. General specifications. Kyiv, Gospotrebstandart Ukrainy [in Ukrainian].
7. (2013) http://magnit-m.ru/catalog/ustanovki-induktsionnogo-nagreva-tvch/termoobrabotka-svarnykh-relsovykh-stykov/uin-001-100-rt-p.
8. (2013) http://magnit-m.ru/catalog/ustanovki-induktsionnogo-nagreva-tvch/termoobrabotka-svarnykh-relsovykh-stykov/uin-001-100-r-tsm.
9. Zhan Xinwei, Wang Shuqing, Shao Yangdao, at. al. (2015) Non-contact type opening closing split induction heating device for rail welded joints. China Pat. CN 201510540567.
10. Ding Wei, Song Hongtu, Li Li, at. al (2012) Heat treatment device of welding joint of steel rail. China Pat. CN 201120285569.
11. Pysmennyi, O.S., Pysmennyi, P.O., Prokofiev, O.S., Yukhymenko, R.V., Gubatyuk, R.S. (2012) Induction installation for heat treatment of rail welded joints. Ukraine Pat. on utility model UA 75027 [in Ukrainian].
12. Panteleimonov, E.O. (2017) Complex for heat treatment of railway rail welded joints in situ. Ukraine Pat. on utility model 114593 [in Ukrainian].
13. Pysmennyi, O.S., Panteleimonov, E.O., Rymar, S.V., Gubatyuk, R.S. (2017) Induction device for heat treatment of railway rail welded joints. Ukraine Pat. on utility model 116086 [in Ukrainian].
14. Panteleimonov, E.O., Gubatyuk, R.S. (2016) Induction device for heat treatment of railway rail welded joints. Ukraine Pat. on utility model 109123 [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2016.10.08
15. Zhan, X., Wang, S. (2005) Research on the improvement of rail head hardening. Technology on railway. Proc. of the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies, 5, 263-271.
16. Slukhotsky, A.A., Ryskin, S.G. (1974) Inductors for induction heating. Leningrad, Energiya [in Russian].
17. Rezanov, V.M., Fedin, A.V., Bashlykov, A.V. ((2013) Differential hardening of rail welded joints. Vestnik VNII hT, 2, 28-34 [ in Russian].
18. Shamov, A.N., Bodazhkov, V.A. (1963) Design and operation of high-frequency installations. Moscow, Leningrad, Mashgiz [in Russian].
19. Bar, I.G., Polevoj, S.V. (1989) Repair of live overhead power lines. Moscow, Energoatomizdat [in Russian].