Technical Diagnostics and Non-Destructive Testing, №4, 2017 pp. 42-45
Improvement of main parameters of magnetostrictive transducers
I. V. Bogachev, L. V. Meleshchenko
Institute of Engineering Thermophysics of the NASU, 2a Zhelaybova str., Kiev-57, 03057. E-mail: email@example.com
Considered are different designs of ultrasonic transducers, applying magnetostrictive effect and having small surface radiation area (waveguide diameter 0.3-1.0 mm) that allows developing a semispherical (omnidirectional) longitudinal wave in a controlled object at probing radio-pulse signal. A scheme of a bench, which can help to determine the main characteristics and parameters of constituent elements of the magnetostrictive transducers, is provided. Effect of different factors and parameters on sensitivity and transducer radiation power was analyzed. High transducer sensitivity is also reached due to application of special materials with high values of coefficient of magnetostriction and magnetostriction saturation, which are subjected to specific technological treatment. The methods providing acoustic contact between the transducers and test objects were considered. 5 Ref., 1 Tabl., 5 Fig.
Keywords: directional diagram, acoustic contact, low-temperature magnetostrictive transducers.
- Seung, H.M., Kim, Y.Y. (2016) Generation of omni-directional shear-horizontal waves in a ferromagnetic plate by a magnetostrictive patch transducer. NDT & E Intern., 80, 6-14.
- Kwun, H., Teller, C.M. (1994) Magnetostrictive generation and detection of longitudinal, torsional and flexural waves in a steel rod. J. of the Acoustic Society of America, 96, 1202-1204. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.411391
- Babak, V.P., Bogachev, I.V. (2014) Ultraviolet small aperture magnetostrictive transducer. Pat. 104567 Ukraine, ITTF NASU [in Ukrainian].
- Babak, V.P., Babak, S.V., Beregun, V.S. et al. (2015) Information support for monitoring of thermal energy facilities. Ed. by Babak V.P.. Kiev [in Ukrainian].
- Babak, V.P., Bogachev, I.V. (2015) Matrix of small aperture magnetostrictive transducers. Pat. 107629, Ukraine. ITTF NASU [in Ukrainian].