Technical Diagnostics and Non-Destructive Testing #2, 2020, pp. 31-36
Analysis of semi-empirical equations for determination of stress concentration in volumetric damages on pipeline surface
P.S. Yukhymets1, L.J. Yurko1, S.V. Kobelsky2, V.I. Kravchenko2
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of NASU, 11 Kazymyr Malevych, Kyiv, 03150. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
G.S. Pisarenko Institute for Problems of Strength of NASU, 2 Timiriyazivs’ka str., Kyiv, 01014, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
The paper deals with comparative analysis of some equations for calculation of stresses in a corrosion damage zone on pipeline
surface. Stresses calculated by FEA in the area of volumetric surface defects were used as the reference values. The geometric
parameters required for calculations were presented as a corresponding set of random independent values that varied within certain
limits. Optimal dependencies were determined, the application of which provides moderately conservative values and a relatively
narrow range of low values of stress concentration factor, when calculating the maximum stresses in the defects on the outer and
inner surfaces, respectively. Ref. 19, Tabl. 3, Fig. 5.
stress concentration, corrosion defects, pipelines
1. Peterson, R. (1977) Stress concentration factors. Moscow, Mir [in Russian].
2. Kirsch B. Z. VDI. July 16., Vol. 42, (1898), pp. 797-807
3. Lekkerkerker, J.C. (1964) Stress concentration around circular holes in cylindrical shells. In: Proc. of 11th Intern. Congr. Appl. Mech., Springer, Berlin, 283. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-29364-5_36
4. Erigden, A.C., Naghdi, A.K., Thiel, C.C. (1965) State of stress in a circular cylindrical shell with a circular hole. Welding Research Council Bulletin, 102.
5. Van Dyke, P. (1965) Stress around a circular hole in a cylindrical shell. AIAA J., 3, 1733. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.3234
6. Savin, G.N. (1968) Stress concentration around holes. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
7. Sadovsky, M.A., Sternberg, E. (1949) Stress concentrations around triaxial ellipsoidal cavity. J. of Applied Mechanics, June, 149-157.
8. Eubanks, R.A. (1954) Stress concentration due to a hemispherical pit at free surface. Trans. ASME, 76, Applied Mechanics section, 57. https://doi.org/10.21236/AD0005640
9. Reed, R.E., Wilcox, P.R. (1970) Stress concentration due to a hyperboloid cavity in a thin plate. NASA TN D-5955, Washington, D.C.
10. Myasnikov, N.P., Rodionov, G.L., Sidorenko, A.S. (2001) Strength of thin-walled structures in the presence of local damages. Electron J., Trudy MAI, 3 [in Russian].
11. VFD 39-1.10-004-99: Methodological recommendations for quantitative evaluation of the state of the main gas pipelines with corrosion defects, their ranking by the degree of criticality and determination of residual life [in Russian].
12. Gevlich, S.O. (2010) On evaluation of the mechanism of transition to limit state in water pipes. http://www.vestipb. ru/articles3617.html [in Russian].
13. Yukhimets, P.S., Garf, E.F., Nekhotyashchy, V.A. (2005) Experimental substantiation of method for calculation of residual life of pipelines with corrosion damages. The Paton Welding J., 11, 11-15.
14. Fokin, M.F., Trubitsyn, V.A., Nikitina, E.A. (1986) Evaluation of service life of the main pipelines in the defect zone. Moscow, VNIIOENG [in Russian].
15. Garf, E.F., Netrebsky, M.A., Yukhimets, P.S., Kobelsky, S.V. (2000) Stress concentration in the areas of corrosion damage of pipelines. The Paton Welding J., 6, 2-5.
16. (2004) Software: 3D finite element modeling of thermal and thermal-stressed state of elements of mechanical engineering structures (SPACE). Certification system SEPRO. Certificate of conformity UA1.017.0054634-04 [in Ukrainian].
17. Kobelsky, S.V. (2010) Construction of mixed finite elements on the base of hexagonal prism for solution of 3D problems of elasticity theory. Nadyozhnost i Dolgovechnost Mashin i Sooruzhenij, 33, 248-262 [in Russian].
18. GOST 8732-78: Seamless hot-deformed steel pipes. Range of sizes [in Russian].
19. GOST 10704-91: Electrically welded steel line-weld tubes. Range of sizes [in Russian].