TPWJ, 2010, #9, 2-8 pages
PECULIARITIES OF THE PROCESS OF ORBITAL LASER-ARC WELDING OF THICK-WALLED LARGE-DIAMETER PIPES
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 9, 2010 (September)
S. GOOK, A.V. GUMENYUK, M. LAMMERS and M. RETHMEIER
Federal Institute for Materials Research and Testing (BAM), Berlin, Germany
The results of development and testing of hybrid laser-arc welding of large-diameter pipes are given. The main results of the research, in particular, on the peculiarities of weld formation in different regions of circumferential joints, mechanical properties of the welded joints, and potentialities of the available equipment for construction of main pipelines are generalized.
hybrid laser-arc welding, orbital welding, high-pressure pipelines, fibre-optic lasers
1. Widgery, D.J. (2005) Mechanised welding of pipelines. Svetsaren - the ESAB welding and cutting journal, 1, 23-26.
2. Koga, S. et al. (2001) Study on all position electron beam welding of large diameter pipeline joints. Rep. 1, 2. Welding Int., 5, 28-33, 92-99.
3. Gainand, Y. et al. (2000) Laser orbital welding applied to offshore pipe line construction. Pipeline Techn. Elsevier Sci., 2, 327-343.
4. Fujinaga, S. et al. (2005) Development of an all-position YAG laser butt welding process with addition of filler wire. Welding J., 19, 441-446.
5. Rethmeier, M. et al. (2009) Laser-hybrid welding of thick plates up to 32 mm using a 20 kW fibre laser. Transact. of JWRI, 27(2), 74-79.
6. Neubert, J. et al. (2009) Influence of tolerances to weld formation and quality of laser-GMA-hybrid girth welded pipe joints: IV-1003-09.
7. Fersini, M. et al. (2009) Circumferential welding of gas pipeline pipes using hybrid technology with fibre-delivered laser beam. Welding Int., 23(6), 450-459.
8. Harris Ian, D. et al. (2008) Hybrid laser/gas metal arc welding of high strength steel gas transmission pipelines. In: Proc. of 7th Int. Pipeline Conf. (Sept. 29-Oct. 3, 2008, Calgary, Alberta, Canada).
9. Begg, D. et al. (2008) Development of a hybrid laser arc welding system for pipeline construction. Ibid.
10. (1996) Guidelines for approval of CO2
-laser welding in ship hull construction classification societies unified.
11. Gumenyuk, A. et al. (2009) High power fibre laser welding for pipeline applications. In: Proc. of 5th Congress on Laser Advanced Materials Processing (July 2009, Kobe, Japan).