Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), № 7, 2019 г., с.46-52
Flux-cored wire for restoration surfacing of worn surfaces of railway wheels
V.D. Poznyakov, A.A. Gaivoronskiy, A.V. Klapatyuk, A.S. Shishkevich, V.A. Yashchuk
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Research was performed and flux-cored wire of PP-AN180MN/98 grade was developed for restoration of wear by surfacing in advanced higher-strength railway wheels. A set of physico-mechanical properties of the deposited metal was determined. It is found that at application of PP-AN180MN/98 wire for surfacing higher-strength wheels, irrespective of preheating temperature and number of deposited layers, deposited metal hardness is optimum (0.94 – 1.0 of rail hardness). Here, in all the joint regions (in the deposited metal, fusion zone and overheated region of HAZ metal) a comparatively homogeneous bainite-martensite structure forms. The deposited metal features a high level of resistance to brittle fracture and wear at sliding friction in contact with rail steel. Obtained research results lead to the conclusion that at application of flux-cored wire PP-AN180MN/98 for surfacing, the restored wheels will have a high reliability, and traffic safety with be ensured under the conditions of increasing operating loads. 17 Ref., 5 Tabl., 4 Fig.
Keywords: electric-arc surfacing, railway wheel, flux-cored wire, structure, mechanical properties, brittle fracture, wear
1. Uzlov, I.G. (2003) Advanced processes of production and quality of railway wheels. Stal, 5, 69-72 [in Russian].
2. Railway wheels and tires KLW. Interpipe NTZ Ukraine, www.interpipe.biz [in Russian].
3. Vakulenko, I.O., Anofriev, V.G., Gryshchenko, M.A., Perkov, O.M. (2007) Defects of railway wheels. Dnipropetrovsk, Makovetsky [in Ukrainian].
4. Babachenko, A.I., Kononenko, A.A., Dementieva, Zh.A. et al. (2010) Examination of causes of defect formation on roll surface of high-strength wheels during operating process. Zaliznychny Transport Ukrainy, 5, 35-38 [in Russian].
5. Ostash, O.P.,Andrejko, I.M., Kulyk, V.V., Prokopets, V.I. (2011) Contact-fatigue damage of roll surface of railway wheels of KP-2 and KP-T type. Visnyk DNUZT, 39, 118-122 [in Ukrainian].
6. (1998) Resource-saving technologies of repair of railway engineering using welding, surfacing and spattering. Trudy VNIIZhT. Ed. by V.N. Lozinsky. Moscow, Intellect [in Russian].
7. Gajvoronsky, A.A., Poznyakov, V.D., Markashova, L.I. et al. (2012) Influence of deposited metal composition on structure and mechanical properties of reconditioned railway wheels. The Paton Welding J., 8, 16-22.
8. Uzlov, I.G., Babachenko, A.I., Dementieva, Zh.A. (2005) Influence of microalloying of steel on fracture toughness of railway wheels. Metallurgiya i Gornorudnaya Promyshlennost, 5, 46-47 [in Russian].
9. Babachenko, A.I., Litvinenko, P.L., Knysh, A.V. et al. (2011) Improvement of chemical composition of steel for railway wheels providing increase of their resistance to defect formation on roll surface. In: Fundamentals and Applied Problems of Ferrous Metallurgy: Transact. of IFM, 23, 226-233 [in Russian].
10. Ivanov, B.S., Filipov, G.A., Demin, K.Yu. et al. (2007) Modification of wheel steel by nitrogen. Stal, 9, 22-25 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.3103/S0967091207090112
11. Rybakova, L.M., Kuksenova, L.I. (1982) Structure and wear resistance of metal. Moscow, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
12. Artemov, I.I., Savitsky, V.L., Sorokin, S.A. (2004) Modeling of wear and prediction of pipe system life. Penza, PSU [in Russian].
13. (1972) New methods of evaluation of metal resistance to brittle fracture. Ed. by Yu.N. Robotnov. Moscow, Mir [in Russian].
14. Panasyuk, V.V. (1991) Mechanics of quasibrittle fracture of materials. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
15. GOST 25.506: Methods of mechanical tests of metals. Determination of characteristics of crack resistance (fracture toughness) at static loading.
16. Efimenko, M.G., Radzivilova, N.O. (2003) Physical metallurgy and heat treatment of welded joints. Kharkiv, NTU KhPI [in Ukrainian].
17. Ryabtsev, I.I., Chernyak, Ya.P., Osin, V.V. (2004) Block-module installation for tests of deposited metal. Svarshchik, 1, 18-20 [in Russian].