Technical Diagnostics and Non-Destructive Testing №4, 2018, pp. 19-23
Evaluation of energy consumed in damage initiation at fracture of materials, based on acoustic emission data
A.Ya. Nedoseka, S.A. Nedoseka
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS Ukraine, 11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
Considering that application of acoustic emission at continuous monitoring of structures in service allows effectively solving a whole range of questions to guarantee and manage their safety, and use of Internet ensures control of this process practically from any external point, application of methods for evaluation of the state of materials based on acoustic emission data is becoming ever more urgent. The data obtained both during monitoring of the real structures, and at testing samples, show that energy associated with material deformation and formation of damage in it, can be of interest for evaluation of the state of structure materials. Separation from the total fracture energy of the part associated with formation of damage, can provide much greater precision of strength analysis and enable evaluation of the state of material at each moment of time of its operation under load. This work demonstrates the possibilities of application of acoustic emission data, shows the part of the total fracture energy to which it amounts, and its relation to accumulation of damage in the material structure, which is summed up during the damaging process, and eventually leads to fracture. 15 Ref., 5 Fig.
material strength, material fracture energy, diagnostics
1. Bridgeman, N. (1955) Investigation of large plastic deformations and rupture. Moscow, Inostr. Lit-ra [in Russian].
2. Volkov, V.A. (1980) Main results of basic experiment on fracture mechanics on low-strength steel. Problems of metal fracture. Moscow, Znanie [in Russian].
3. Lebedev, A.A., Chausov, N.G. (1988) Express-method of evaluation of crack resistance of ductile materials. Kiev, AN Ukr.SSR [in Russian].
4. Nedoseka, A.Ya. (2018) Fundamentals of calculation and diagnostics of welded structures. Ed. by B.E. Paton. Kiev, Indprom [in Russian].
5. Nedoseka, A.Ya., Nedoseka, S.A., Markashova, L.I., Alekseenko, T.A. (2018) Investigation by acoustic emission method of the kinetics of damage accumulation at fracture of materials. Tekh. Diagnost. i Nerazruch. Kontrol, 3, 3-13 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.15407/tdnk2018.03.01
6. Nedoseka, S.A. (1992) Method of acoustic emission as an effective tool for investigation of the kinetics of material fracture at the stages of crack initiation and propagation (Review). Ibid., 3, 26-34 [in Russian].
7. Nedoseka, S.A.(1998) Causes for damage initiation and residual life of the material of emergency section of Dashava-Kiev pipeline. Ibid., 1, 38-50 [in Russian].
8. Paton, B.E., Lobanov, L.M., Nedoseka, A.Ya. et al. (2014) On application of AE technology at continuous monitoring of piping of power units operating at high temperature. Ibid, 3, 7-14 [in Russian].
9. Skalsky, V.R. (2003) Evaluation of accumulation of bulk damage in solids, based on acoustic emission signals. Ibid., 4, 29-36 [in Russian].
10. Chausov, N.G., Nedoseka, S.A., Lebedev, A.A. (1993) Investigation by acoustic emission method of the kinetics of steel fracture at final stages of deformation. Problemy Prochnosti, 12, 14-21 [in Russian].
11. Stone, D.E., Dingwall, P.F. (1977) Acoustic emission parameters and their interpretation. NDT Intern., 10, 51-56.
12. Nakamura Yosio, Veach, C.L., McCauley, B.O. (1971) Amplitude distribution of acoustic emission signals. In: Proc. of Symp. presented at the December Committee Week American Society for Testing and Materials (Bal Harbour, 7-8 December 1971), 164-186.
13. Tetelman, A.S., Chow, R. (1971) Acoustic emission testing and micro cracking processes. In: Proc. of Symp. presented at the December Committee Week American Society for Testing and Materials (Bal Harbour, 7-8 December 1971), 30-40.
14. Beveridge, A., Ham, B., Rosenbrock, L., Kriesl, N. (2009) Acoustic emission monitoring of high energy piping. IIW Annual Assembly and Intern. Conference (12-18 July 2009, Singapore). XI-926-09.
15. (2015) 68th Annual Assembly of the International Institute of Welding – IIW 2015 (Helsinki, Finland). Tekh. Diagnost. i Nerazruch. Kontrol, 4, 58.