Technical Diagnostics and Non-Destructive Testing №4, 2018, pp. 24-29
Influence of depressions on the surface of structural elements on measurement of the velocity of surface acoustic waves
V.R. Skalskii, O.M. Mokryi
G.V. Karpenko Physico-Mechanical Institute of the NAS of Ukraine, 5 Naukova Str., Lviv, E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
The considerable impact of presence of depressions on the surface of a structural element on the results of measurement of distribution of surface acoustic wave velocity was shown experimentally for the case of application of piezoelectric contact transducers with rigid coupling of the exciting and recording prisms. It is found that deviations from a plane result in an additional delay of the acoustic signal that may lead to a significant error in velocity measurement. It is stated that a temporary delay is caused by acoustic signal passing through an additional layer of couplant that forms between the transducer prism and studied material surface. 10 Ref., 7 Fig.
structural elements, surface, surface acoustic waves
1. Skalsky, V.R., Nazarchuk, Z.T., Gigny, S.Y. (2012) Effect of electrolytically absorbed hydrogen on Young's modulus of structural steel. Fizyko-Khimichna Mekhanika Materialiv, 4, 68-75 [in Ukrainian].
2. Zaporozhets, O.I., Dordienko, N.A., Mikhajlovsky, V.A. (2016) Acoustic and elastic properties of the components of WWER-440 reactor vessel wall. Metallofizika i Novejshie Tekhnologii, 6, 795-813 [in Russian].
3. Muraviov, V.V., Zuev, L.B., Komarov, K.L. (1996) Velocity of sound and structure of steel and alloys. Novosibirsk, Nauka [in Russian].
4. Levesque, D., Lim, C.S., Padioleau, C., Blouin, A. (2011) Measurement of texture in steel by laser-ultrasonic surface waves. J. of Physics: Conference Series, 278, 1-4. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/278/1/012007
5. Puro, A.E. (1996) Acoustic tomography of surface stresses. Akusticheskij Zhurnal, 42(1), 112-115 [in Russian].
6. Johnson, C. (1993) The spatial resolution of Rayleigh wave acoustoelastic measurement of stress. Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation. Vol. 12. Ed. by Thompson and D.E. Chimenti, New York, Plenum Press, 2121-2128. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4615-2848-7_272
7. Viktorov, I.A. (1981) Sound surface waves in solid bodies. Moscow, Nauka [in Russian].
8. (2014) The stress state identification of critical bridge component using nonlinear acoustic. Final Report for NCHRP IDEA, Project 158.
9. Mokryy, O., Tsyrulnyk, O. (2016) Technique for measuring spatial distribution of the surface acoustic wave velocity in metals. Archives of Acoustics, 4, 741-746. https://doi.org/10.1515/aoa-2016-0071
10. Mokry, O.M., Koshovy, V.V., Semak, P.M. (2014) Procedure of measurement of the velocity of surface acoustic waves for diagnostics of metal state. Vidbir i Obrobka Informatsii, 41(117), 43-48 [in Ukrainian].