Technical Diagnostics and Non-Destructive Testing #2, 2019, pp. 7-12
Assessment of the influence of mechanical properties of structural ferromagnetic materials and their welded joints on the change of parameters of magnetoelastic acoustic emission
Ye.P. Pochapskyi, B.P. Klym, N.P. Melnyk, P.P. Velykyi, P.M. Dolishnii
Karpenko Physico-Mechanical Institute of the NAS of Ukraine, 5 Naukova Str., 79060, Lviv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Influence of mechanical properties of structural ferromagnetic materials and their welded joints on the change of informative parameters of magnetoelastic acoustic emission was studied. It was found that presence of applied external loading, residual postweld stresses and different microstructure in welded joint zones causes a change of the sum of amplitudes, duration and form of acoustic signal envelope. Effectiveness of the method and prospects for its application for conducting diagnostics of elements of structures in long-term service in different environments were confirmed. 19 Ref., 10 Fig.
Keywords: ferromagnetic materials, domain wall, remagnetization field, magnetoelastic acoustic emission, signal information parameters, welded joint, weld, heat-affected zone, base metal, residual stresses
1. Ono, K., Shibata, M. (1981) Magneto mechanical acoustic emission - a new method for non-destructive stress measurement. J. NDT International, October, 227-234. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-9126(81)90075-4
2. Skalskyi, V.R., Pochapskyi, Ye.P., Klym, B.P., Rudak, M.O. (2016) Application of the method of magnetoelastic-acoustic emission for control of the stressed state of ferromagnetic structural elements. Tekhnolog. Sistemy, 2, 67-70 [in Ukrainian].
3. Pochaps'kyi, E.P., Klym, B.P., Rudak, М.О. et al. (2017) Application of the magnetoelastic acoustic emission for the corrosion investigations of steels. Materials Sci., 52(5), 742-742. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11003-017-0017-7
4. Nazarchuk, Z.T., Andrejkiv, O.E., Skalskyi, V.R. (2013) Evaluation of hydrogen degradation of ferromagnetic in magnetic field. Kyiv, Naukova Dumka [in Ukrainian].
5. Skalsky, V., Hirnyi, S., Pochapskyy, Ye. et al. (2011) The effect of deformation on the parameters of magnetoacoustic signals. Visnyk TNTU, Special Issue, Pt 1, 155-161.
6. Pochapskyy, Ye., Nazarchuk, Z., Skalsky, V., Hirnyj, S. (2012) Application of magnetoacoustic emission for detection of hydrogen electrolytically absorbed by steel. In: Proc. of 19th Europ. Confer. on Fracture «Fracture Mechanics for Durability, Reliability and Safety» (Kazan, Russia. 26-31 August, 2012). ID 405.
7. Nazarchuk, Z.T., Skalskyi, V.R., Pochapskyi, Ye.P. (2014) Technology of sampling and processing of low-energy diagnostic signals. Kyiv, Naukova Dumka [in Ukrainian].
8. Tikadzumi, S. (1987) Physics of ferromagnetism. Magnetic properties of materials. Moscow, Mir [in Russian].
9. Durin, G., Zapperi, S. (2006) The Barkhausen effect. The Science of Hysteresis, II, 181-267. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-012480874-4/50014-2
10. Alessandro, B., Beatrice, C., Bertotti, G., Montorsi, A. (1990) Domain wall dynamics and Barkhausen effect in metallic ferromagnetic materials. I. Theory. J. Appl. Phys., 68(11), 2901-2908. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.346423
11. Melguj, M.A. (1980) Magnetic control of mechanical properties of steels. Minsk, Nauka i Tekhnika [in Russian].
12. Mikheev, M.N., Gorkunov, E.S. (1993) Magnetic methods of structural analysis and nondestructive testing. Moscow, Nauka [in Russian].
13. Ng, D.H.L., Jakubovics, J.P., Scruby, C.B., Briggs, G.A.D. (1992) Effect of stress on magneto-acoustic emission from mild steel and nickel. J. of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 104-107, 355-356. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-8853(92)90831-8
14. Skalskyi, V.R., Mykhalchuk, V.B., Dolishnii, P.M., Semegenyvskyi, R.I. (2008) Influence of material structure on change of amplitudes of magnetoelastic-acoustic emission. In: Physical methods and means of control of media, materials and products. Transact. of PMI, Lviv, Issue 13, 80-83 [in Ukrainian].
15. Krechkovska, G.V., Yanovskyi, S.R., Student, O.Z., Nykyforchyn, G.M. (2015) Fractographic indications of service degradation fof welded joints in main oil pipelines. Fiz.-Khimich. Mekhanika Materialiv, 51(2), 21-27. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11003-015-9824-x
16. Guyot, M., Cagan, V. (1993) The magneto-acoustic emission (invited). J. Appl. Phys., 73(10), 5348-5353. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.353728
17. Ng, D.H.L., Lo, C.C.H., Jakubovics, J.P. (1994) The effects of demagnetizing and stray fields on magnetoacoustic emission. Ibid, 75(10), 7009-7011. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.356759
18. Ng, D.H.L., Yu, C.C., Qin, C-D. et al. (1996) The dependence of magnetoacoustic emission on magnetizing frequency in nickel and mild steel. Ibid., 79(8), 6057-6059. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.362090
19. Pochapskyi, Ye.P., Melnyk, N.P. (2015) Evaluation of displacements of domain wall in ferromagnetic materials due to action of external magnetic field. Ternopil, Visnyk TNTU, 3(79), 102-109 [in Ukrainian].